Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thats one way to test your QSC and Sansamp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MuzikMan, Aug 18, 2004.

1. I was jamming my @$$ off yesterday at practice and I managed to pull my rack off of my speakers with my instrument cord. I guess I had the rack too far forward on the cab. The rack just flipped over on its back on to the ground! Oh $#i+, I said, and proceeded to plug everythibg back in. My QSC USA900 survived unscathed, although it was already beat up looking. My brand new Sansamp Acoustic DI, which was resting on top of the rack, didn't miss a beat. It looks a little worn in now though.

Unfortunately my JBL Equalizer, which was also resting on top of the rack, was crushed like a grape. Oh well, if one thing had to go.....

Cheers to the quality of QSC and Sansamp! I'm convinced.

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    That's awesome news. :) Hopefully my RBI and QSC PLX 1602 won't ever have a trip like that, nestled away in my SKB flight case, but who knows!

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    go wireless, and it won't be an issue!

:D

4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Well, look on the bright side, with beat up gear, you can now play with a little more character than before.

5. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    Congrats on pulling though that one.
    About a year ago my SWR 4x10 and SKB case (filed with an Aguilar 659 and Stewart 1.6) fell 5-6 feet to the concrete off a shelf. It just vibrated off.

I was sure the Aguilar was gonna be toast, but had no damage whatsoever. A year later and I'm still throwig that rack in the back of trucks. Another reason to buy quality gear; it's roadworthy. :bassist:

6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good stuff! Glad to hear my back up rig of a QSC RMX 850 and SABDDI is going to be there when I need it to be!

But yeah, same here, I've almost pulled my SABDDI off the top of the rack (and therefore the entire rack) off my cab due to jumping around, acting crazy, etc. You'd think a 21 foot cord would be enough?! Wireless...good idea...

Quick question though: Any advice on how to "rack" or make "rack friendly" the SABDDI? I mean, instead of just having it on top of the rack or on the floor? Ideas welcomed!

-T

7. yeah, that exact same thing happened to me, with my ART Nightbass. I believe i said the exact same thing, except if i typed it, i would have put it in capital letters!

the thing still works fine though!

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The nice thing about having a SABDDI on the floor is that it acts as a cable extension / breakaway buffer: less chance of toppling your amp rack. ;) But when I decided to rack my SABDDI I bought a used RBI.

Well OK, I guess I have no ideas. :p

9. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fuzzbass: No, you are right...good point haha...I laugh at myself now. I mean, yes it's a bit more expensive for th RBI/RPM, but a rack is a rack and a BDDI is primarily a floor thing. I guess I just wanted the best of both worlds: rack compatibility with the pocket portability of the BDDI. Kinda like what the kidney shaped pods do when they are put on their mounts? Something like that. I'm dumb.

:bag:

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That was some good luck! I hope the rack case didn't bend, did it?

A similar thing happened to me a few years ago. Someone was helping me out by rolling my rig out to my car, and one of the casters caught on a crack in the sidewalk. The cabinet tipped over and the SKB case tumbled onto the concrete, hitting on the lower right front corner first.

This was before I had gotten around to attaching rear rack ears to the back of the amp and the rear rail, so there was some physical damage to the PLX 1602 and the front rail of the SKB. It took about an hour or so to pull the amp out, pound the right rack ear straight with a rubber-covered mallet, straighten the bent rack rail with pliers and the mallet, smooth out the bend in the aluminum edge of the front cover, and put it all back together. And this time I made sure to put in rear rack ears and screw them to the rear tabs on the amp.

Attaching the amp at the back of the rack makes the amp and whole case much more rigid and strong. Less than a year later the case was dropped onto the same corner from a little bit higher point, but this time nothing bent.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

I probably need to do that for mine, as well. Did you but them from QSC, and about how much did they run?

12. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    +1

Though you play Bass - you can still be cool :eek:

Go wireless - I like it a lot :D

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Yes, I got them from QSC. ;)

They run $20.55 for the kit with two 3" ears and $23.90 for the 7" kit. I used the 3" ears (which are just slightly too short to use easily with a PLX in a standard SKB case, but I improvised a solution) because we didn't have 7" ones available until just recently.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

And what kind of improvisation was that?? :) I actually have a piece of the egg-crate material you find on mattress covers under my amp, in between my SKB and QSC. I have to push the amp down some to make it fit in the bottom 2-spaces, so it helps in absorbing some set-down shock and vibrations from the cab.

15. The funny thing is that my case didn't get damaged at all and it's a thin homemade POS! I was lucky that the rack flipped upside down and fell flat instead of bouncing on a corner. I have an empty space on the top.

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Normally you would put the short part of the L-shaped rack ears on the outside of the rail and then put screws through the slots into the clip nuts on the rail. Because the long parts of the ears weren't long enough, I put the clip nuts on the rack ears, put longer screws through the rear rails, put a bunch of washers on the screws to act as spacers, and then threaded them into the clip nuts on the rack ears.

That gave me probably almost another inch of depth, and I was able then to put self-tapping screws through the rear tabs on the amp and into the rack ears, then tighten everything so it is rigid.

Of course, the longer 7" rack ears would've made all that unnecessary, :meh: but after the damage from the first drop, I wasn't going to wait several years.

You can also buy suitable rack ears from other manufacturers. Penn Fabrication is one, and I think Middle Atlantic Products has them also.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    You lucked out, man! :hyper:

18. Indeedylee-eadylee!

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i always put my cord thru one of the handles of my cabinet before plugging into the rack :cool: