Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THD Hotplate like gadgets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Is there anything out there that does what the hotplate does but isnt that expensive? :eyebrow:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The hotplate is really a relatively simple device. There are power resistors that are meant to dissipate heat, and are cased in an aluminum heatsink. These are the heart of those type of devices. You could build one...

3. "could" i know, i know its a fairly simple idea, i dont see why its that expensive, thats why im wondering if theres any others availible

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think there is some added circuitry that keeps it cool that makes it more expensive. Might possibly have a transformer of some sort, but there is no reason it should be more than 100 dollars.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I read about the THD, and it is a bit more than I thought! They have a unique design, and apparently it's worth more.

6. apparently so, i noticed that to

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Observation: You seem to be running solid state.

Question: Why are you looking for a Hot Plate?

Not trying to be a contrary cuss, just curious is all. :)

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A hot plate would still work on a solid state amp, and it would possibly have some benefits, but not 300 dollars worth.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Then perhaps my understanding of how a hot plate works is flawed - help me out here.

Tube amps (usually guitar amps) sound better with the preamp and the power tubes blazing - the distortion is supposed to have a better quality at high volumes, because the power amp tubes are sweating their proverbial balls off. (Granted, this is just what I have been told.) Therefore, you get an awesome sound, but it's hella loud. Therefore, you get an attenuator to present the same load to the power section, but lowers the volume so as to get that cool tone without the volume.

With a SS amp, you would just turn it down. The volume and the tone are independant of each other.

If this is not the way this stuff works, let me know what's up. I've only owned one tube amp in my life, and the topic never came up for me.

edit: From the Musician's Friend description of the Hot Plate: "Designed for use strictly with vacuum tube guitar amplifiers, each version of the Hot Plate is optimized..."

10. Observation : Ampeg SVT II :p

that aint SS, thats 300watts of all tubeyness :bassist:

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I dunno. I have heard better tone out of my GK when it was loud. I don't know if this is due to the speakers reacting differently or to the amp. But the only way to find out is to try one o' these hotplates.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I stand corrected, despite the fact that I am sitting. For some reason, I was thinking that it wasn't a tube amp.

13. i'll let you off :p

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Whew. Won't happen again, sir. ;)

15. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    The THD Hotplate, Marshall Power Brake and Groove Tubes Speaker Emulator all behave just like speakers as far as the amp is concerned. They provide an inductive load that reacts to the amp unlike a strictly resistive load like many other dummy load devices such as the Sholtz Power Soak. This is much better for the amps output tubes and output transformer.

I have both the Marshall Power Brake and a THD Hotplate and they are both very cool and each has it's advantages. My Hotplate is the 2 ohm version and I use it with a Fender 59 Bassman amp for guitar use. The Hotplates are all built for specific impedences and are not adjustable. The Marshall Power Brake allows you to select 8 or 16 ohms. The Hotplate has two switches, one for treble and the other for bass to help fine tune the sound esspecially if it's turned way down, the Marshall box does not have this, but instead it has about a 10 step attentuator where you select your level. My Power Brake gets used on a Marshall 50 Watt amp for guitar, I've used it for many years with great results and no problems, these devices are much more than just a resistor...

16. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
  17. I thought the hotplate did, i know the marshall powerbrake doesnt . . . oh well, confound it, im gonna have to play loud now, damn damnity damn damn :smug:

18. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego

I should have included in my previous post that the Weber models only went up to 150 watts. I missed the part about the SVT. Blame my poor reading comprehension.

Maybe Weber can make something custom?

19. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    so whats does one of these devices really do?