1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Über-Jay Mark2

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by miziomix, Nov 2, 2010.

1. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Commercial User

Sep 28, 2009
    Milan, Kuala Lumpur, Paris.
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    hi there!

The Mark 2 hit the road a few days ago.

Most of the features I had in mind for this second build are there. A few details will be taken care of as we go.

The basics are:

4 strings. 22 frets.

Swamp Ash body.
    Camphor Burl top.
    Birdseye Maple/Ebony neck (or BE/Padauk)
    Maple FB

2 Bartolini (or EMG) J type

Custom made black and chrome hardware.

The design will be fairly true to the original concept. Except a slightly slimmer body contour. As usual, I will tweak things a bit and try spice it up as we go.

this is the link to the original Ü-J build http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620583

So....here's the first round of pictures.

IMG_5909_2_2.jpg

DSC00234_2.jpg

The combination of Swamp Ash and Camphor Burl should enhance further the lines of the body. Compared to the classy black//white/gold look of the first Ü-Jay, this one will probably have more bite :D

I don't think I'm gonna use a veneer between the two. But any suggestion is welcomed.

Under the saw the Camphor Burl smells great...spicy...I think I can get high on this.

DSC00235_2.jpg

I am more concerned with the look of the back since the front will be hidden. So what you see in the picture is the back, not a left handed model.

These are two 13/64 (5mm) slices taken from the back of each half. The lower one will be used to make a cavity cover with matching grain.

DSC00236_2.jpg

DSC00237_2.jpg

Both core and top woods are now glued and awaiting me tomorrow.

yeah :bassist:

2. joshmat

joshmat

Nov 20, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Hey Mizio, I'll be watching this one as well... the UBER J, blew my mind! Which, BTW, I hate to be a poopy pants, but I think many (me included) are still awaiting some sound clips of that bad-boy! ;)

In any event, glad you're building another "UBER" and I'm sure many will observe with great anticipation.

3. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    fair enough... they're long overdue at this point :)

I can only say that the bad boy hasn't been with me for the last week. I had the electronics re-installed as I wanted the wires to be shorter and the pots replaced. I never really liked the fact that two pots were split shaft and the third one solid. Got it back yesterday.... I will oblige soon...glad you'll be following this one :bassist:

4. YUSS!! This is gonna be excellent! Have you also thought about chambering the body? I personally think you should have a black veneer under the top.

Subbed btw.

5. I would put a black veneer in between the top and back woods, but that is just me.

lowsound

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    That burl sure is burly!!

7. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Yups. I have made templates to chamber the body and some wood will go. However, with all that shaping at the back and being arched on both sides there isn't much left to chamber.

A dark veneer............I'll try that...... Thanks! :bassist:

8. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    If this basses will be available to public I would be working my ass off to get one..

9. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Actually they are now! This one is spoken for already...unfortunately for me ;)
    But if you're interested we can talk about the next one. Thanks!

10. BassCycle

BassCycle

Jan 6, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
    Subbed!

11. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Phew man! You gotta be kidding me! I'm a 5'ver guy too. :oops:

12. trayner1

trayner1

Jul 1, 2010
    La Jolla,CA
    Ooh! Another one!! Gonna be hard to top the first, eh?

13. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    4, 5, 6...I like them all. I'm hoping for the next one to be a 5er...unless, of course, I have to make another 4 stringer ;)

Yeah...darn...well...OTOH....ain't that great? it means that I'll have to think harder and take risk....cool!....I so love challenges ;)

Today I cut and sand the body - and forgot to take pictures...yeah... I will take the next few days to finish some hardware stuff.

I need to order veneers for the body. Does anyone know a reliable source in Asia? :bassist:

14. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The first one had me stunned. I'm watching round two. :D

15. ditto :cool:

16. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Subbed! Man, you're stuff looks so nice... clean lines, and excellent work.

17. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Yay, new Uber J!

18. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    I have one word to say:
    PHWAOR

19. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Considering what the first one weighed, I imagine a chambered one of these would float away. You make beautiful basses though and if I can ever afford to have a custom job done, your work would be at the top of my list. Can't wait to see number 2.

20. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Wow...Guys, I am overwhelmed by your kind words. thank you so much!

Man, it's so very nice of you to say that! And the view is stunning from the top of your list ;) thank you!

Like I just wrote on the original ü-j thread, I made a mistake the first time around. The first ü-j weights 3.5kg or 7.7lb. Still pretty light but not in the 6+ range - yet.

A chambered Swamp Ash body should do the trick. 3 to 3.5kg is my target for 4 and 5 stringers.