1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The 100 Greatest Bass Players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Chico Ruger, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    For Discussion:

Bass Player Magazine just named their top 100 "greatest" bassists. They even had the audacity to rank them! They have one-through-three as Jamerson, Pastorious, and Sir Paul.

Now, I understand they are in business to sell magazines (or attract eyeballs), but it seems folly to me to try to rank these players for many reasons, most obvious. Would they have been wiser to just list them alphabetically?

duncan_guitars likes this.
  2. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Don't think that list is at all accurate. Went through the whole thing, and couldn't find my name.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Articles like that are intended to do nothing other than to get people talking. How do you compare Paul Chambers with Jamerson with lots of other players who were not as famous?

Hey, it got you to post this thread ...

design, bottomzone and bassbrad like this.
  4. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Fieldy at #11 was pretty shocking I thought

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    These lists are ridiculous.

Herrick, lfmn16 and bottomzone like this.
  6. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    There is no such thing as 'greatest'. There is only 'sucks' and 'does not suck'.

7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Careful...somebody might start a "100 Greatest 'Does-Not-Suck' Bass Players" list!:laugh:

8. Hats off to BP8 for daring to put together a well thought out list but I could not help thinking of a few missed bass greats:
    Tiran Porter
    Randy Meisner
    Ralphe Armstrong
    Alonso Johnson
    Mo Foster
    Dusty Hill

And those are just the players I listened to today

bottomzone and Signs like this.
  9. I like some of the players you listed but a list of 100 is bound to have omissions. Some glaring and some not.

Ant Illington likes this.
  10. twinjet

twinjet CFM-equipped Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Can you perhaps post that list or a link? Google returns nothing useful to me.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The list came out just a couple days ago, and BP generally doesn't post articles online until the next issue comes out, so it probably will be another month before you see it online. I think it's a way better list than Rolling Stone's :D but yeah, there are bound to be omissions. Don't worry too much about it.

12. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Precisely. Does anybody really care who TIME Magazine's "Person of the Year" is anymore?

Helix likes this.
  13. Signs

Signs

Jan 11, 2011
    Muskegon, MI
    Tiran Porter and Alphonso Johnson would sure be on my list...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  14. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Just got this months issue of bass player magazine in the mail as I'm on a 2 year subscription. Anyway I got real stoked when I saw James Jamerson on the cover and then I saw " The 100 Greatest Bass Players." Looking over the list I was surprised to see some bass players ranked higher and lower then I assumed. It's just crazy to see someone like Mike Watt ranked way to low at 89, JPJ at 21 when i thought he woulda been in the top 10, Matt Freeman not even on the list, Paul Mcartney at #3!!?,duck Dunn and Robbie Shakespeare ranked above 40!? There's people on the list,I believe should be ranked higher and other lower and it makes me wonder if this was bass somewhat on popularity. What's your thoughts and opinions on the list?

15. Is it alphabetical perhaps?

bassdude51 likes this.
  16. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Overall, I thought the list was pretty good. And they made their case for each choice. JPJ at #21 sounds fair. I'm not familiar with Mike Watt or Matt Freeman, so I can't comment on them. I would have had Verdine White (a little too high) and Bernard Edwards (too low) switch places. If Edgar Meyer is considered eligible for the poll, he definitely should have been way higher, same with Christian McBride.

17. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Definitely not alphabetical. I leafed through the issue when it arrived. To me, the rankings seem more of a popularity thing. It's a great list of players, each with little write-up, and a good way to introduce the "old guard" to the next generation of players.

design and descendent22 like this.
  18. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    The write up mentions several different criteria, so taking that into account with the folks that were part of putting together the list (12 current and former writers and editors of BP) is going to give some expected and surprising choices.

Having McCartney at #3 makes sense, as it’s not as much about how technical he was, or his overall prowess on the bass, but his impact over a long period of time, not just on bassists but on music in general. It’s a fine balancing act.

19. McCartney #3 is right, he was the first Rock Star.
    No one other bassist has composed a lot of inmortal melodies.
    And c'mon his style is great.

design and crucislancer like this.
  20. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Umm . . . remember that guy from Tupelo, Mississippi?