1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The 1st ever made Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by no_pops, Apr 20, 2010.

1. no_pops

no_pops

Apr 12, 2010
    Does anybody know what happened to the first ever Precision Bass made by Fender in 1951? Or where is it kept now?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Lost in Tom Bowlus' basement.:p

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    probably in the Fender museum...

or used for firewood somewhere...:bag:

Ghastly likes this.
  4. It was defretted, epoxied and modded with a DarkStar.

5. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    I've got it. But I've replaced the decal with a Squier one.

S.P.

6. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    (THUD!!pedro falls to the floor laughing himself silly.)

7. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    John Sprung at Part Is Parts used to own it.

G

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    :ninja: :bag:

hrodbert696 and moles like this.
  9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    LOL!! We're on to you Tom.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've got it stashed at home next to the Funk Machine.

Seriously though, Leo gave away the first few instruments to Pros to get the Precision off and running, and I'm sure nobody at Fender kept track which one was the first one made.

11. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I'm waiting for a serious answer too. :confused:

12. It's in the basement of the Alamo.

Crusher47, skwee and songwriter21 like this.
  13. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Leo had a habit of destroying prototypes, though at least one prototype Broadcaster was saved, and resurfaced after Leo's death. I've never heard of the prototype Precision surfacing after his death, so I assume it's been destroyed. I think David Gilmour has the lowest serial # I've heard of, I think it's #0007 or #0011. He also has Strat #00001, but that wasn't the first one built, as the neckplates were randomly grabbed from the bin.

14. This is it right here:
    PB01.
    I swear. Wanna buy it?

bobyoung53 likes this.
  15. $5????:smug:

16. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I believe Elvis' Bass player got it. Elvis was really big around then with the whole Rock N' Roll thing and all and Elvis' bass player was using a upright but, as we all know uprights aren't very loud when you factor in the electric instruments it's accompaning. Also I think Leo gave it too him around the time either before or after the Ed Sulivan show performance.

I am just reciting what I read in an article I can't even remember the book/mag I read it out of so don't trust me. Because I may be wrong or I maybe right. Plus, I don't really like Fender stuff either.

GreaserMatt likes this.
  17. The 60's ,hippies and hacksaws/bright paint probably got it.

GreaserMatt likes this.
  18. BlackFenderBass

BlackFenderBass

Aug 9, 2009
    It almost makes me want to cry at stories like this. How the hell did Leo know the bass was gonna be so big? I mean, if he did, I really don't think he would be destroying the damn prototypes.

But seriously, I think the first bass was scrapped into the mothman. Along with the souls of the prototypes destroyed by Leo.

:bag:

19. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Fender was remarkably careless with early documentation. To this day there are only educated guesses about the month the Precision first shipped, and nobody remembered who sourced the strings or tuners. If you look at photos of the early Fender operation, it was more like a furniture rebuilding/radio repair shop than a revolutionary musical instrument creative maelstrom. Leo was unaware that his basses would ever be collectible, and in interviews in later years he still sounds astonished that the phenomenon existed.

Besides, serial numbers are totally useless to date or even to sequence instruments. They were not assigned sequentially, and no records were kept. It may be cool to associate the first Precision with Elvis, but the facts don't support it. Rock and rollers came pretty late to the party. Monk Montgomery, a jazz bassist (and brother of Wes), was the first to tour with one in Lionel Hampton's band, in 1951 -- and he didn't like it. He thought he'd been hired to play upright, and only played the electric because Hampton gave him an ultimatum: stay with the band and play electric, or go home.

The earliest picture I've seen of a P bass was one played by Eddie Cochran's bass player (using a capo!). We're talking 1955, already. All the early shots of Elvis I've seen show a stand up bass.

20. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Prototypes are notoriously bad - that's one reason companies destroy them.

two fingers likes this.