Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The 1st Low F# String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Apr 17, 2004.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    What Bass Player Gave us the First Low F# String ?

2. is there such a thing? where ca i get one????

3. 7 strings generally have a low F# string.

4. the first I heard of one was in the BP feature on Bill Dickens, interviewed by Vic Wooten, asking him about his Conklin 9string.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I thought that "standard" (if there is such a thing) 7-string tuning was BEADGCF. That's how the Conklins I've played in stores have been tuned.

6. Didnt JT have a low F# befor '95?

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...

Seconded. :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    You are correct Flatwound. Default tuning for all production 7 strings out tehre is high C , not low F#. Most 8 strings have a low F#, however. I have no idea who first tuned to a low F#.. personally I think it's completely useless because it's just mush and mud.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Only in Canada.;)

10. Meshuggah sounds nice woth low F#
    but it's imposible to buy such strings in Poland

11. I remember playing Tommy Kennedy's first six string Fodera back in the mid 80's that was strung with a low F#. I'm assuming that was one of the first usages of that. Of course, he quickly dumped the idea due to it basically sounding like low mush, but we were all pretty impressed at the time!

12. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I thought it was Bill Dickens too.

What's the answer?

13. Tommy did actually play that 6 string with the low F# for a while, so I'm pretty sure that was probably the first usage. That was WAY back in the 80's! I'll check with him about that if and when I talk to him, since that was a long time ago and I'm fuzzy about the exact year. It would have been very early in the Fodera company's history... my guess is around 85 or 86 for that iteration of Tommy's 6.

Tommy also had the second 5 string ever made with a low B (after Jimmy Johnson's Alembic one year or so earlier). Actually, Fodera claims it's the first 'production 5 string', since it was the first in the Monarch 5 line, not a 'special custom request'.

PS Just to clarify... Fodera did not make a 6 string that was designed to be used with a low F#... Tommy just did that on his own (i.e., swap out the high C for a low F#).