Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The 2<6> Harmonic in PoT

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Unchain, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    This song is fairly easy, but that harmonic is killing my speed. How do others play it? Using artificial? Pinch? Thanks.

2. I do it the way it's supposed to be done. Fret the 2nd fret with my index finger, mute the 6th fret with my pinky. It's a stretch, but I can usually make it without any trouble (I have big hands).
    The last chord in the song though, now that's almost impossible. I originally thought it was only 2 strings (G and D) which I could get clearly sometimes. But I got a book and found out that it includes the A also, making it nearly impossible for me.
    For the last chord (for anyone who doesn't know), you fret the 9th fret on the G, D, and A strings. Then mute the 13th fret on all of them. Good luck with that.

3. d.bond

d.bond

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    or a generic way to play it is play <4> or <5> on the d string and then hammer on 1 on the d string (i forget, don't have my bass handy).
    another way is to fret the 2 and instead of stretching for the <6>, just play a false harmonic while you have the 2 fretted. try either of those, it's an easy, generic way for those that can't stretch.

4. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    See, that last chord is super-easy to me. The 2<6> sucks though. :crying:

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That makes little sense. you must have very oddly shaped hands. The 2 <6> harmonic is cake for me, and, while I can hit the final chord easily it's never been as effortless as the 2<6> and I have a 36" scale bass!

btw, I really like that way of noting the harmonics 2<6> ...very logical.

6. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    36"? Woah, that's long as long could be. I dunno, the 9<12.8> strech is shorter, but I can bar the 9 and get the D&G strings with my pinky, and the A string with my ring.

Thanks. It just seemed like the best way.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    another way to get the note, if you have a 5 string, is right around the first fret on the low b. just a bit closer to the nut.

8. I find that I have plenty of time to get into the 2<6> position since the previous note is an open harmonic (I'm gonna look dumb I remembered it wrong). Maybe you're not moving from the previous note as soon as you could.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Or for that matter it's also located in between the 2nd and 3rd frets of a low D string, of course, neither of these solutions are really all that in tune compared to the fretted method, and dropping to D for one note is pretty silly anyway.

10. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    The previous note is <5> on the D. I just can't strech my hand that far that fast. Maybe what I need is a 30" just for that one note. :rolleyes:

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, if you CAN stretch to hit the note at all, then it's just going to take practice to do it fluidly. you could try practicing just on that note, going from a resting position to hitting it as fast as you can, or you could try practicing in the context of the song. The only thing I would be conscious of is that some of those stretches can be a wee bit unnatural, and there is the possibility of hurting yourself from over-practicing with them.

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'll have to try that. I just fret the second fret and pinch it (steve bailey style, thumb and index finger) a little in front of the neck pickup. Its a little quiet, but it gets the job done.

13. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks Wrong Robot. I really aprecciate the help.

14. Are you using your pinky for the note on the D? That makes it just a 1 fret movement. If you're already doing it that way then you'll just need the follow Wrong Robot's good advice.

EDIT: I might add that I really lunge for that note. I bring my elbow way in to twist my hand around and lessen the strain in that stretch. That involves turning my wrist at a sharp angle, but since I don't put any pressure with my pinky I don't jurt myself. I have trouble playing the note cleanly if I don't do that. Since PoT involves a lot of loose hand waving to hit those harmonics the movement fits. I don't normally twist myself around the bass to hit notes.

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I just reach it. :hyper:

16. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Same here. :hyper:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but my hands are really big; I can reach this harmonic and the last chord of the song effortlessly. :smug:

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    So can the thread starter guys :rolleyes: That wasn't the point of this thread.

18. back to trying to help him :smug:
    when i first learned it, i did a pinched harmonic for it. you can do it without hardly moving your right hand, theres one right up by your pickups. i can reach it now, it just takes practice and putting your index finger right on the fret to reach. but just pinch it if your playing it at a gig soon.

19. All I can say is keep practising and it gets easier, same with anything you do on the bass. You will eventually get it. I did and I have small hands, just takes practise and a pretty bent wrist.

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

pretty bent wrist is risky. Don't over exert yourself, you can hurt yourself from such bending.