1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the 2011 VW Jetta

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hover, Oct 5, 2010.

1. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Boooring.
    2009_vw_jetta_white.jpg

2011-Volkswagen-Jetta-0.jpg

Man, comparing the two, it looks like VW is hellbent on neutering all the personality out of the design....I kinda liked the last gen's chrome / AUDI-ish grille accent, and now even that is gone, replaced by lines in the facia and rear that are remnicent of the new Kia Forte crossed with the Passat, but with none of the *character* or edge....
    10671334-used-2010-kia-forte-in-winston-salem-nc-27105.jpg

Actually, more like the old Saturn L series...
    [​IMG]

Thoughts? Did the VW design team take the year off or am I missing something?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    That's ok. It's a Jetta, so no matter how it looks, parts will start falling off in no time. :(

3. seismic

seismic

Sep 27, 2010
    10 feet from Hell
    The design has been toned down and the front end reminds me of a Corolla, but I would buy one just for the TDi engine.

If VW or Subaru would build a high performance TDi powered AWD auto [think WRX with a TDi], I'd floor it to the nearest dealer to buy one right now.

4. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    So is all of its competition, so it should do fine.

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thing is, I used to view VW of late as a niche, hip, "Apple of the auto-world"... not even close. I like the EOS, which is essentially a jeeta roadster. The Tuareg is a snoozer, as is the routan and the tiguan. I dunno about them anymore.

6. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    I like the latest VW Scirocco, nice design imo.

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    really? Because I think the Chevy Cruze, the Ford Fiesta, and the Nissan Juke are all really nice looking vehicles...as is the Volvo s40. Sexy machine for a small car, that one.

8. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    It's a sad day when VW stops building cars to European standards, i.e. BMW, Audi, Benz, and starts building cars to compete in the American/Japanese market i. e. Toyota, GM, Ford.
    My '00 Jetta is great but I'll take my old, and sadly long gone, 1986 GTI over it any day.

9. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    The WSJ recently had an article about how VW is trying to make cars suited to the American taste. Aparently they think we like 1990's Subarus. I disgree with them because Subaru didn't take over the market.

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Benz stopped building Benz-es to Benz standards for a short while, in fact building them more akin to Chrysler standards...and that was indeed sad...(the M class and C class being dire examples)bit them straight in the ass too. Same with Jaguar. Back on the right road again tho for Benz, glad to see.

11. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    I believe they used to have that kind of image. Over the last decade or so, they've acquired a reputation of not so reliable. Now, much of what they release is rather boring. So I think they've lost that edge.
    Right now I don't think there is an 'Apple' of the car world.
    MINI maybe, or Smart...But I don't really think either of those do either...
    Everything is either sedan boring appliance, or TRUCKZILLA, and Elise style racers.

Its why I like that POP thing I posted yesterday, Funky unusual car for the next century. Egg shaped sedans should die.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I agree, along with them moon-buggy style crossovers. The automotive climate for the major players anyway is more a gmae of one-upsmanship in a segment then in innovation or forward thinking. And whenever someone comes along with a novel new idea, it's such a hard sell. The romantic days of lust-worthy automobiles for the most part is long behind us.

I hope something truly awesome comes of the Tesla Type S. IF is ever hits market.

I also really dig the POP. I also commend alot of what is coming out of KIA's design team.

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I find that most new cars looks wise have the personality of an unflushed toilet. This VW would appear to be no different.

If it wasn't for the emblem on the grille I'd have a hard time telling it apart from every other $hitbox on the road today.

14. The Kia Forte is a VERY nice car. My girlfriend has a 2010 and it is the best you can get for the money, or even a few thousand more. It was as nice as the mazda 3 that we test drove.

lowsound

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I like the lines of the Forte. An edgier take on the 2 door civic of late. I know nothing of the drive quality, but trust you on this one. I should try it.

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    America abdicated it's sense of taste, style and character decades ago when it comes to the automotive world. Too late now...that ship sailed long ago.

17. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I actually sat in one this AM while I dropped off my '08 Jetta Wolfsburg (basically a GLI) for a recall in the DSG transmission.

Outside is meh. Seems a bit bigger than the previous generation. Massive trunk. Nice interior. Radio and gauge cluster looked very nice. As said above, they are lowering the price to compete with the corolla and civic mainly. The sticker on this one was 18k and nicely equipped. The day I see them put drums in the back will be the day I probably stop buying VWs. That day may be approaching soon.

Are VW less reliable than comparable Honda/Toyota? Sure. (seems like every time a VW thread starts in ANY forum someone feels the need to point that out). Are the 10x more fun to drive. Absolutely.

The cool VW thing I read today was this: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/05/vw-sets-single-tank-distance-record-with-1-527-mile-passat-bluem/ - Me wantie TDI Passat.

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I agree entirely. Driving my Jetta WAS very exciting...The anticipation of which part would break next always had me on the edge of my seat. Years after I moved on to reliable cars (Nissans, and now Honda), I moved in with a roommate with a Jetta that was 10 years newer than the one I had once owned. It had all the same problems too! He got tired of that fun too, and now drives an Acura.

19. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Ah yes - never fails.

20. mindgrinder

mindgrinder

Dec 13, 2009
    Lesage, WV
    KIA=Killed In Accident :D

Have owned one will never own another.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021