The 24-fret Jazz Bass: Cool or Lame?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

More info here

I like 24-fret instruments, I like jazz basses. I kind of wish they would have offered it in a solid color, but it's cool nonetheless. It doesn't really look that awkward to me.

EDIT: I would note that I played a Stu Hamm Urge II (the recent model) and thought it was pretty poorly designed. The fingerboard seems to extend to far into the body for thumping...I don't think it's a problem with the fingerboard so much as the body shape making your wrist fall too high on the fingerboard. I don't know if this one will suffer from the same problem.
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    If you like that is all that matters. My opinion is that it looks really nice and I personally like the burst.
  3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Great idea, but I'd prefer a solid color, pickguard, normal Jazz knobs, and block inlays. That and 32 inch scale, while I'm dreaming...
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    That knob configuration just doesn't look quite right on a Jazz, but I'd still throw a thump on it.
  5. AffinityBass

Jun 28, 2005
    Marlboro, NJ
    I played that bass very recently. It has a great feel to it, but the pickups gave it terrible buzz. If I got it, I would swap them out for Bartolini's or EMG's in a second.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The SD 1/4#er pups have the usual Jazz hum when you solo one or the other.

The 24 frets make for some soaring solos :)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking.
    Roger Sadowsky finally got copied by Fender.
    I think it can be called a great life achievement. :)
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I love it. I played it at Guitar Center and played it, and I loved it. If there were other colors, I would have to give it the stamp of GAS!
  10. I agree!!! I played one yesterday at a GC and it was nice, played great, sounded good, no complaints. :bassist:
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I dig. If they make it in a 5-i'd be even more interested.
  12. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    It looks pretty cool. The idea of 24 frets doesn't excite me, 'cause I never play above the 12th fret anyway, but I guess some people do...
  13. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I never really got why people insisted on 24 frets until I thought about replacing my Ibanez with something more vintage or straightforward - I can't imagine not having that two-octave fretboard, it just throws my stuff all out of whack, especially if I'm playing any higher than the 12th fret.

Anyway, that bass is definitely secks. There's one at The Bass Place in Scottsdale. I'm tempted to haul myself all the way over their to get my mits on it.
  14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

15. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    The bass - Cool.

The fact that Fender waited this long to make a 24 fret bass - Lame.
  16. groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    i actually have that bass purchased a month ago, no complaints so far. It has a good solid tone, nice feel.
    its made from korea. knobs look like the deluxe fender (except for the switch) but over all, its good. I'll try it for recording next month.

markus huber
  17. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I wish it was 35" scale :(
  18. Ever since that model came out, I've been wondering: what is it that makes it a "Jazz bass"? It sure isn't the body shape. Pick up placement, perhaps?
    Anyway, I probably wouldn't even want to take a closer look at one, were I to run across one in real life, since I find them to be quite ugly.
  19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I concur that it certainly does look cool.

Even though I'm not much of a Fender guy I might consider it if it had the normal Jazz knob configuration and no fret inlays.