1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The 4-5 Jump

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, May 28, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    This summer, I am going to be working full time. One of the things I am buying is a pre-done rack with a dbx Compressor and an Ampeg SVT-3.

It's time for me to take the leap to fretless, and probably the leap to a 5, so voila, 5 fretless.

I have been playing a 5 at the music store for a half hour before my lesson for a few months now (not because I actually have the sense to go the music store and practice with a 5, I play the 5 while my brother has his lesson). It's a Godin and I'm not sure what the string spacing is, but I'm sure that I don't like it. It's not that I can't play it or that I have a hard time playing it (of course I have a little trouble because I don't own a 5 myself), it's just not very fun because the strings are closer and I feel confined by that.

So, my question is, do you think I would have a better time playing a 5 string with wider (let's define wider as the standard string spacing for a 4 string at the bridge) string spacing or will it be a pain anyway and I might as well go with my favorite pickup configuration, which I am picky about. I am looking to spend around $1000 or less.

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    No reason to buy a narrow-spaced 5 if you're not comfortable with it. There's plenty of 5's with 3/4" spacing to be had. I had a 5er with narrow spacing years ago, and it took a considerable change of technique to play. When I got a wide 5, it was like releasing the brakes.

$1000? Lakland Skyline. Has a narrow nut, so your fretting hand won't have to deal with an aircraft carrier-sized neck, but it widens out to 3/4" spacing at the bridge. Very comfy.

Although I ought to mention - my first wide 5 hade a big ol' neck (2 1/4" at the nut) so I got used to the width. Now, anything narrower feels kinda like a toy. Not a bad thing, and it doesn't hinder my playing on a more normal neck, but the big wide ones just kinda feel like "home". Bottom line, you can get used to a wide neck, but a really narrow one, with narrow spacing at the bridge, will probably hinder your playing, ESPECIALLY if you play primarily fingerstyle or slap. Not so much of an issue with a pick.

The Lakland will probably make for an easy transition from 4 to 5.

I'm sure some other folks will chime in with other suggestions.....that's just off the top of my head.

3. Also look into the MTD Kingston Heir's - they have 3/4" (19 mm) spacing, and look pretty cool. Also, they've got a Musicman style humbucker, so they can fake the Stingray for about $500 less. Stingray's are 17 mm string spacing at the bridge, I think.

edit: I own a Stingray 4, but am having a hard time buying a SR5 because of the spacing. I know I could adjust to the narrower spacing, but I just don't want to HAVE TO adjust. I think the wider spacing is easier, but if I had learned on a narrower spaced bass, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I believe there is a Kingston fretless 5 somewhere out on the 'net. A place where you could bid on it. ;)

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I meant wide by a bass with the same string spacing as the 4 string. I love Laklands, I play a Lakland 44-02 and love the living hell out of it.

I looked at the Godin site. It never occured to me that the Godin 5's have less string spacing than the Lakland 5's. I think I'll probably stick with the Lakland 55-02 or maybe a G&L Tribute L-2500 depending on how much money I have.

6. I just made the switch to 5 after YEARS of playing strictly 4's.
    I actually traded my 4 banger in on it, so I was forced to play a gig the other night before being really comfortable with it. Worst show Ive done in a long while. I kept going to the B thinking I was on the E and playing some really wacky out of key stuff. Very embarrassing. But a couple of nights later I did another gig and things went a little smoother. I love the 5, but Im having to really change the way I read the fretboard now! And the spacing threw me a little at first, (its an Ibanez with a relatively narrow neck though...just a bit wider spacing over the pickups than I was used to) so my plucking fingers were pretty fumbly...hahaha! I just need to spend a few days at home practicing and Ill get better with it!

7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    definately check out the MTD Kingston/Heir. I'd highly reccommend the Carvin Bunny Brunel as well, but your tastes may differ (I'm not a fan of the preamp myself).