1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The $400 shootout

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiemyshoe, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Tiemyshoe

Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    Hey guys wut do u think is possibly the best bass you could get for $400. Please think about Durability, sound, functions and looks/finish. In my opinion i like the Hartke WK4. Durable, 2 active soapbars, pretty, n affordable. I also like the Fender J-bass. Great tone and durability, but vintage looks,passive pickups and horrible bridge. Hey do you people have anymore ideas or comments about inexpensive but decent basses?

2. If the $400 is supposed to represent street price you probably can't go wrong with a Cort Curbow 4. I really liked the one I had but didn't fit my body shape :rolleyes:

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yamaha has some nice basses (the rbx series) under $400 that are very nice for the price. Solid construction and decent sound for not a lot of cash.

4. Godin SD

- there's no question in my mind. Every instrument that company makes is top notch regardless of price. They have a lot of really high end instruments, but their less expensive ones are still of great quality.

5. are vintage looks and passive pups a bad thing? Those are the reasons I got the bass. And the bridge can be fixed for $20, so no big deal there, and its well under $400, I dont see a better deal then a MIM jazz, well, maybe the P, hehe.

6. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I have a MIJ Fender Jazz bass that I got for just under $400. I liked the neck and the finish better than the MIM. Sound wise I thought the MIJ sounded a little more solid (?), less string rattle and fret buzz than the MIM.

I also tried the Hartke and Ibanez the ones for around $200-300. I forget which models however they both had active pickups and I think a P-J configuration. I liked both but they didn't have the warmer tone of the Fender.

For something completly diferent try the epiphone explorer.
    I liked that one too.

As always it's completely subjective. Try them all.

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

While Rob's right in that the Godin SD is a nice bass at a nice price. I like the rounded Gibson-esque body and it plays and sounds good. However the bass I'd look for if I only had $400 to spend is a used one.

My personal faves are G&Ls and you can find an SB-1 (P-bass like), SB-2 (P+J) or L-1000 (single humbucker in the P position) for under $400. L-2000s are probably more than $400.

Carvins have traditionally poor resale value and are well constructed instruments. I don't know if you could find a used US Fender but they are nice as well.

Used gets the most bang for your buck. I try to do that as much as I can but I don't always practice what I preach.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I agree with craigb. You can probably get twice as much bass, for the money, if you go used. For $400 you should be able to find a keeper.

9. for $400, Id take my american P anyday

10. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i got a brand new american p for $500+62 (shipping and tax). I played them many times before then, but when i saw the deal at musicians friend, i couldn't resist. It was definately the best $562.40 i've ever spent. You could get one used for under $400, but musiciansfriend gave me a tuss rod adjuster, allen wrench, a $2 strap, cloth, a bumper sticker, iron-on patch, straplock, and a molded hsc that provides great protection.

11. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    You could probably find a Cort Curbow for around $400.

12. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I just put my Cort Curbow 5 fretless on the board for $400 shipped U.S. Very nice bass, just gotta make some room.
    Doc