Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The $400 shootout

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiemyshoe, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Tiemyshoe

Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    Hey guys wut do u think is possibly the best bass you could get for $400. Please think about Durability, sound, functions and looks/finish. In my opinion i like the Hartke WK4. Durable, 2 active soapbars, pretty, n affordable. I also like the Fender J-bass. Great tone and durability, but vintage looks,passive pickups and horrible bridge. Hey do you people have anymore ideas or comments about inexpensive but decent basses?

2. If the $400 is supposed to represent street price you probably can't go wrong with a Cort Curbow 4. I really liked the one I had but didn't fit my body shape :rolleyes:

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yamaha has some nice basses (the rbx series) under $400 that are very nice for the price. Solid construction and decent sound for not a lot of cash.

4. Godin SD

- there's no question in my mind. Every instrument that company makes is top notch regardless of price. They have a lot of really high end instruments, but their less expensive ones are still of great quality.

5. are vintage looks and passive pups a bad thing? Those are the reasons I got the bass. And the bridge can be fixed for $20, so no big deal there, and its well under $400, I dont see a better deal then a MIM jazz, well, maybe the P, hehe.

6. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I have a MIJ Fender Jazz bass that I got for just under $400. I liked the neck and the finish better than the MIM. Sound wise I thought the MIJ sounded a little more solid (?), less string rattle and fret buzz than the MIM.

I also tried the Hartke and Ibanez the ones for around $200-300. I forget which models however they both had active pickups and I think a P-J configuration. I liked both but they didn't have the warmer tone of the Fender.

For something completly diferent try the epiphone explorer.
    I liked that one too.

As always it's completely subjective. Try them all.

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

While Rob's right in that the Godin SD is a nice bass at a nice price. I like the rounded Gibson-esque body and it plays and sounds good. However the bass I'd look for if I only had $400 to spend is a used one.

My personal faves are G&Ls and you can find an SB-1 (P-bass like), SB-2 (P+J) or L-1000 (single humbucker in the P position) for under $400. L-2000s are probably more than $400.

Carvins have traditionally poor resale value and are well constructed instruments. I don't know if you could find a used US Fender but they are nice as well.

Used gets the most bang for your buck. I try to do that as much as I can but I don't always practice what I preach.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I agree with craigb. You can probably get twice as much bass, for the money, if you go used. For $400 you should be able to find a keeper.

9. for $400, Id take my american P anyday

10. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i got a brand new american p for $500+62 (shipping and tax). I played them many times before then, but when i saw the deal at musicians friend, i couldn't resist. It was definately the best $562.40 i've ever spent. You could get one used for under $400, but musiciansfriend gave me a tuss rod adjuster, allen wrench, a $2 strap, cloth, a bumper sticker, iron-on patch, straplock, and a molded hsc that provides great protection.

11. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    You could probably find a Cort Curbow for around $400.

12. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I just put my Cort Curbow 5 fretless on the board for $400 shipped U.S. Very nice bass, just gotta make some room.
    Doc