Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The 600-700 dollar bass 5 string range, looking for FAT sting ray 5 type tone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Apr 1, 2005.

1. any suggestions? I want it to play everything, but I want the fat tone my Ibanez lacks.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How bout save up another $100 or so and get an actual used Stingray 5?

Otherwise id suggest get a Lakland 55-01.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For that much you can get a Musicman SUB or maybe you can track down an Ibanez ATK.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    +1

It'll be really worth it to actually get a Ray 5, they are great basses, especially compared to anything you can get new for $700.

5. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    deluxe fender MIM jazz

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I played a SUB5 the other day (not thru an amp, tho'). Heard good things about them. Also, you could check into an active MTD Kingston, but not the one I've got my eye on. :cool:

7. I'd love to get a used Music Man Stingray 5....I might jsut do that. Used doesn't neccessarily mean abused. I mean, I played one and DAMN it was a good bass.

8. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I second the MTD kingston 5 active. I've been nothing but pleased with mine in every way. Build quality, Tone, Ease of playing are all superb.

edit: You should be able to find a used Kingston in great condition for much less than what you'd pay for a used MM.

9. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    SUB5 = best bass for $650-$700

10. so is a SUB5 like an imitation sting ray 5?

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The SUB5 actually sounds like a two band Stingray 4 instead of a SR5 which has the Sterling set up. I think it is a versatile bass with a few nice tones.

12. There are some nice 5's in that general range up for sale in the TB classifieds.

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd like to suggest a Spector or G&L.

14. . . .and get what you want. You probably got the bug to buy a bass and are very exited to get something new. It's very understandable. But don't settle for any bass just because you want it now. I've bought basses when I was younger using the same reasoning and down the road I wished that I just had saved a couple hundred extra dollars or more and got something better. Just my thoughts.