1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The 7 laws of borrowing gear from other musicians

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zontar, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    "A guitar is not a material object."

No. They're a means of torture that transcend the physical realm.

3. For me only two rules.

#1. Do not do it.
    #2. Always be over prepared so as to comply with rule one.

Wisebass, mongo2, Gunga Din and 11 others like this.
  4. I used to. It went badly wrong too many times.

Gunga Din likes this.
  5. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Buy an $80 Ammoon off ebay and lend it out freely. If it never comes back, you're out $80. Lend out your Fodera and I got no sympathy for you if it goes badly.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I lend my guitarist stuff when we're on the same stage, and it blows up that night.
    So far he has toasted my Blues Jr. which I've used trouble free for years. A cry baby wah. I've had it 5 years, and he didn't get thru first set. My Suhr Badger. Trouble free for three years. He didn't get first song out of it.
    This guy is just bad luck.

7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    my thoughts exactly.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  8. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I try to follow the "neither a borrower or lender be" creed. Haven't crossed the bridge with big stuff (instruments, amps, pedals) but have small potato stuff (cables, plug strips, etc). I carry a lot of extra cables in my spare bag - more in case others need then rather than me and they have com in handy.

I doubt I'd loan out an instrument or amp in a situation where it was leaving my sight. I'd be fine with someone I know playing my gear, but strangers, not so much.

I have friends that would would/have loaned other stuff (tools and the like) and would/have borrowed from them, but my rule is pretty simple - if I can't affords to replace it, I won't borrow it.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    As I've written elsewhere on TB:

5StringBlues likes this.
  10. I have a guy who needs to borrow a cab sometimes. He weighs about 140 so he always gets the heaviest cab I own.

:)

MrLenny1, two fingers and saabfender like this.
  11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    '94  Gretsch    G6119B.JPG 330 Ric 2.JPG I don't have any problems with that advice - mostly common courtesy, anyway. For me, though, borrowing stuff from me isn't something that happens very often. Especially when it comes to instruments...;)

12. saabfender

saabfender Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Just one rule: Don't.

In the automotive/truck world, it's very taboo to ask to borrow another guy's tools.

13. AJ78bass

AJ78bass

Sep 2, 2018
    I have a long time friend that I would trust enough to loan him gear, I've done it before and he's always returned it intact. But he's an exception, generally I do not loan things

14. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    It is the exception more than the rule--but there is a small number of people I would trust with my gear--and there are those who trust me with their gear.
    But even then it rarely gets lent out.

Last time I borrowed gear was when I was scheduled to play bass at a Good Friday service.

The run through before the service was going well, and shortly before we were to start my bass went silent--at that time I only had one bass--my EB3 copy.
    I tried different cables & DI Box (I was plugged into a DI box into the PA, and the DI had an out to my small practice amp as a personal monitor--and there were other monitors.
    Nothing--so the fault must have been with the bass.

So I didn't play at the service.
    I had someone check it out--it turns out there was a wire that had come loose.
    So I borrowed a bass of the Easter service.
    It was an Ibanez ATK and I put in a fresh battery & left that when I returned it.
    I also did wipe it clean.

15. Im kind of torn. I've borrowed and lended. Sometimes it has come back to bite me, sometimes I've been the biter. I was playing a three band show last year and we were the headliner. I allowed the other two bands bass players (one I was friends with, and one who I just knew from the biz) to use my rig. The one I just "knew" was on first, and about five songs into the gig, she had blown a ten in my 2x10 cab. Fortunately, the PA company had a 410 in their trailer, so we were covered, but I'll probably not provide backline again.

Another time, back when I first got into playing bass. I worked for that same company. We had about ten different bass rigs we used for when we did backline. Ampeg fridges, SWR and Trace Elliott stuff, Mesa Boogie, lots of high end cabs and heads. We also had some older Hartke XL series cabs from when they were the in thing. I asked to borrow a cab for a gig when I didnt have one able to do the job and the boss said "sure, take one of the XLs, they never go out anymore. Just hang on to it, if I need it I know where it is." Well, I still have it, about 8 years down the road. He has since sold the company, and moved to the South. I guess it's mine now, but I feel bad that I had it so long.

I loaned one of my guitars, a Carvin my wife got me when we first got married, to the singer in my band because he wanted to learn to play the guitar. He had it for 8 years. An Epi Les Paul was at my guitar player's house for about four years. I keep telling my guitar player to take one of mine out on some gigs just so they will get some love.

I dont have a problem loaning some of my gear. But not to just anyone. And some of my stuff doesn't get played by anyone but me.

BnB

Mr_Moo likes this.
  16. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I loaned a nice Crest amp to a close friend who had a PA being repaired. During their last song there was a big power glitch. My amp blew a big gush of sparks as it melted down - actually put a hole through the circuit board.

I think I'm done with loaning gear.

pappabass likes this.
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The 10 Rules of borrowing gear from me:

1. Bring it back as you got it, or pay me what I ask
    2. Know me for years, and be someone I like and trust
    3. Otherwise, DON'T EVEN ASK
    4. There isn't 10

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Meh. I guess I've been lucky. I loan stuff out all the time. I got burned thirty years ago (Peavey TKO combo got pawned by the guy who borrowed it). But ever since loaning out gear has worked out just fine.

Ever want a big smile on your face? Let a kid just starting out borrow a nice, loud bass rig for his first show. He'll be geeking out the whole time hearing his playing sound so good. It's usually a lot of fun for both of us.

Heck, lately I've been in the giving mood. I gave an old blown 210 cab to a kid at my church. I bought one Faital driver for it and he bought the other. Dang can sounds way better than it did when I owned it. It sounds fantastic on his double bass jazz gigs too.

I gave away a bunch of parts and strings over the past few months.

Everything I need to know I learned from Kung Fu Panda. :D The only way to get more chi is by giving it away.
    uten_navn.

19. ^This^

I have lent and borrowed many times before (done significantly more of the former) and also given away quite a few items of gear to new players, schools. My rules (garnered from experience and people way wiser than I):

1. It's not what you lend/borrow, it's the who you lend to/borrow from. If there's mutual trust, it'll be fine. If it sounds more like a business relationship (agreements, etc.) then it's just that, a rental service, not a personal favor - treat it that way.
    2. What I borrow, I return promptly in a condition at least as good as I received it in. No repairs or tweaks done personally for obvious reasons but offer to pay for repairs without the lender having to mention it if I damage the item in any way. Return a clean item with fresh batteries, maybe a new set of strings, replace iffy cables, etc., if possible.
    3. Lend stuff as if I was giving it away. If I get it back any time in any condition, all the better but let it go as soon as lent.

Obviously I have no high-end stuff (not nearly) and never had any and I'm not really attached to my gear. Even so, if my resolve to stick with either of the above is in question, I will not lend or borrow.

two fingers likes this.
  20. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    1: Don't
    2: Don't
    7: Don't