The 80s lurk back?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Oct 30, 2003.

1. The Strokes do a Tron-themed video...

The Fountains of Wayne, already having done "The Devo" on a previous vid, include in their "Stacey's Mom" video a scene inspired by "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"... yep, THAT scene...

And Kylie's single Slow is backed by blips and beeps reminiscent of analogue heaven...

Plus Duran Duran is coming back.

Next thing you know Gibson re-releases the all-graphite Steinberger XL-2...

Risky Business II anyone???:D
  2. god no. please.

the 80s=eww
  3. You just found this out NOW?! I say the 2000's are basically the 80s all over again, except with better fashion sense, and no dayglow colors. *shivers*
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'll take the "crap" 80's tunes over what is considered music by todays popular standards any day of the week.

FWIW, Duran Duran has a killer bassist.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Me, too.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    YES!!! PLEASE, God, PLEASE! :D
  7. not to mention a new Tron videogame :D
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i loved the 80s... billy idol pwns.
  9. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Nobody told me they were over.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've got no problems with 80's nostalgia.

What I have a problem with is that this means disco might come back. Soon.
  11. Hmm White Stripes to me are like a sick and dying animal.. Will someone call the vet to put them to rest? PLEASE?

12. I'm up for forming a culling squad.:D
  13. Now i am aware this thread has nothing to do with The white stripes but the strokes, white stripes.. its all the same..... I just saw The White stripes on tv and hmmm they all must be "removed".

14. av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    Originally posted by NV43345

Nobody told me they were over.

I must be suck there, cause all I want to know is .....Do ya wanna sell that explr. ?

15. I'm a bit bored of 60's retro revival stuff- especially when they insist on using authentic coal-fired, steam-powered mixing desks *yawn*
    but I don't mind it that much- when it's played competently- but when it's sloppy eg. White Stripes, the Strokes (both with TERRIBLE drummers)- no thanks.

in the late 70's/early 80's there was a lot of experimentation going on with the new synthesiser/sequencer technology, and also the recording techniques-
    I like a lot the 80's bands exploration of the new possibilities.
    also it was a great era for bass playing:cool:

I like bands like Colder (just bought Colder's album "Again"), Ladytron, Daft Punk and some of Les Rhythmes Digitales' revisiting of 80's sounds.
    -although a lot of Ladytron's stuff sounds a lot better as remixed versions (I suspect they're a bit too stuck in the 80's).
  16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd kinda like disco coming back....some good bass groove oriented stuff! Once again, mucho better than the repetitve electronic crap that is so popular today.

I'd juts like any type of live music to be popular again, it's tough convincing a club owner to drop big cash on hiring a band, when he can throw some chump DJ $30 and have a packed house.
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That electronic stuff(House music?) with the 4-on-the-floor kick drum(1-2-3-4) IS today's Disco.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thank you, no.

NOT :cool:

19. Sorry Jimmy but I do like hexagon thunder...