Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Absolute Best Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FUNKDADA, Apr 16, 2001.

1. LIKES & DISLIKES

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ANY HEAD TO HEAD INFO

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. SLAP AND POP PROVEN

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. KNOWN PRICE LIST

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. WHO MAKES THE BEST COMPRESSOR IF MONEY WAS NO OBJECT? I ORDRED THE DBX166 AND IVE SINCE BEEN TOLD THE SONIC MAXIMIZER WAS A BETTER SET UP IF YOU WERE TRYING TO TIGHTEN UP YOUR SLAP AND POP SOUND VIA TECHNIC.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They're two different things.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's right, Munji (again?...Geez;))

If you're truly trying to tighten up your slap and pop via technique...you don't need a compressor. You need to practice.

It's not in a box.

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Funkdada, welcome to Talkbass! :) Sorry to be pedantic, but please turn off your Caps Lock - IT MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING!!!

Thanks,

5. If money's no object.... A 1950's Fairchild tube compressor, about $10000 these days. Summit makes some real nice ones for $3000-5000. Drawmer 1960, $2000. However, if money is an object, the 166 is a great compressor. Nothing fancy just a compressor. As Munji said, the sonic maximizer is not even remotely like a compressor.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I agree. DBX makes the nicest comp's by far.

7. Wow I thought I was the only one that knew that. :D

I really dislike compressors and limiters; the only solution for me was to practice so I didn't need them.

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I agree wholeheartedly with you HOWEVER a compressor is an effect that you are expected to have on any freelance recording gig. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 99.9% of the studio cats who have them in their racks (which is at least 99.9% of studio cats) aren't using them to cover any technical deficiencies.

9. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    I'd go Aphex. They're much better than dbx IMO.

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Check the FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor ("RNC"). VERY high bang-for-buck ratio!

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My BBE isn't a compressor, per se, (that's why they call it a "Sonic Maximizer"), it does a lot more besides the compression function in it. The compression it gives, when used in conjuction with it's other tone shaping feaures, is quite good. Maybe their sound samples at their website are finally loaded.

I agree, in part, with Munji and Brad, in that, don't expect it to dress up technique deficiencies.

But, hell, big names always seem to have `em in their signal chain diagrams, so keeping those peaks and dips in check is something they need help with, too.

BTW, I think I got the gist of your poll but it's a bit obtuse, IMO.

12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    NO NO NO!
    Compression is an effect NOT a correction tool. This is a really important thing to understand in using compressors. When used correctly it gives you an "expanded" kinda presence that gives definition without excessive volume.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't see where I said/inferred that, but I can see how that could be your take on it.

Many of us use it to control dynamic range in a big room.

Others, (e.g. slappers), use it for punch (as an effect, like you said).

I didn't know there were rules posted about how to use it. ;)

14. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Just realised... this belongs in Effects. Well, it was early in the morning when I first read this... ;)

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've read a little about the EBS MultiComp ... might even get one.

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Keep 'em away from me!

17. I have a dbx 1066 and I bought it after a very thourough search for a good compressor. Reagarding talk of "practicing" taking the place of a compressor is nonsense. The compress adds sustain and enhances tone. No amount of "practice" can add sustain to a bass.

18. gonzo85

gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    Sorry if I sound lame, but what exactly does the compressor do?

19. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Depends on how you use it. In most cases, it's used to squash the life out of everything. Like a bass that sounds like a tuba? A badly used compressor will do it. Now a properly used one is a completely different story, but in my experience, that's only about 10% of the bassists who own them.

20. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Control, folks...it's all about Control