The Acme B-2 has landed...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 16, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    aighty then,

my good UPS buddy, Juan, just dropped off the B-2 and i'm runnin' it thru its paces, and WOW, what a sound.

hooked up with my Demeter VTBP-201s & Peavey DPC1400x, its clean clean clean. tho lots of you guys say Kern's seem to go best with the B-2, i cant help but love the Demeter's sound thru it. has an gorgeous airy feel.

highs are smooth. not as peaky as i'm used to, but its a sound i definitely appreciate. mids are very detailed and notes had a carve to them that my Aguilar GS112 never showed.

i can hear all the subtlties, and its fun to be able to clearly differenciate between my Lull's smooth & burnished Lindy pickups, against homemade jbass jobby's gut punchie Dimarzio Ultra Jazz. even the preamps, i could tell how harsh the Bart in the Lull was, while the J-Retro's EQ taper was much smoother and nicer.

and that bass... round, clean, HUGE. i loved the way my Aguilar pumped out my El's LowB, but the B-2 told me how its supposed to pump out. the Aggie simply "presented" my low B in all the right tones. The Acme shot it out like a cannonball. simply massive. felt like the floorboards in my prewar apartment were gonna rattle into the basement.

my friend came over with his EA CXL110, and tho, its almost like apples/oranges, it was an interesting comparison given their "flat" natures.

Right off the bat, the EA had alot more airy highs. a little peaky vs. the B-2. but the B-2 almost seemed muted and soft in comparison. course, it'd be hard to judge the low end, and even the midrange cause of the speaker size differences. if only i could compare it to a CXL210. even a pair of EA's would be cool. (Brad, wanna take a quick jaunt to NYC? :D)

i got the 4 ohm version, cause i thought i was gonna use this to replace my Aguilar in the small gigging combo, which it prolly will. but i now want a pair of 8 ohm B-2's that i could run in series. WOW, that'd be a nice setup. btw, i love how its sooo light. HUGE sound, and light weight are always +.

speaking of which, i'll be taking this guy to 3 gigs this week. 1st is my sunday churchie gig (densely mixed band). 2nd is a quick reunion gig with my last neo-soul band (4 piece where keyboards might pose problems). 3rd is a jazz jam i have at Euphoria at the end of the week (5 piece acoustic).

sorry, for the crazy long post, but feel free to stay tuned... ;)
  2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Is it as loud as the Aguilar or Bergantino?
  3. Great review! Thanks for taking the time and ... CONGRATS!

I love my Acmes!

4. Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Yeah Joker,
    Congrats again.
    Let us know how it does at those upcoming gigs.
    I'm now 99.99% sure my next cab will be a B-4!
    Thanks for that review.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i just came back from my church gig.

Band is a dense one. two guitars, piano, percussionist (djembe, congas, shakers of all sorts), moderately loud drummer, and 4 vocalists.

things do get very muddy given the 200 person room of highly reflective wood floors & dry wall, and low ceilings. lead vocalist/guitarist does like a loud monitor mix, so it does get a little crazy.

so much so, i have a hard time trying to keep my bass at a nice acceptable level without having to blast the first row which is about 6 ft away from me just to be heard.

when i used my Aguilar GS112, it was hard getting a punchie, defined tone cause it tended to be dark. IMHO, 12's sound full and balanced with a trio that needs fattening and filling out. But, in a denser mix, it gets lost and adds to the muddiness. i find this true with my Bergie too, tho it does feel slightly punchier due to its more open sound. it was hard trying to find that median of being able to be both punchie/cutting, but at a low volume enough for the stage.

with the Acme's, however, that problem was gone the minute i plugged in.

set horizontally and running out one stereo channel from the Stew, and using my USA Custom parts Jbass, i think i was only doing 150 watts with the power amp knob on about noon. 350 is full on @ 4 ohms thru one channel. but it was mucho loud enough for me. the tone was glorious, full, and above all, distortion free. i've never heard something so nice nor so fat.

and tho i loved the flat as a pancake tone, with my Demeter set flat with only the brite and bass boost on, i could easily adjust the EQ to suit what i needed to cut thru. lots of airy highs, good low mid 150 hz punch from my J-Retro. i was in heaven. a friend of mine commented how he could actually feel the thump in his chest. but i could see how someone with a limited EQ might struggle with it.

one caveat, i did notice the corners and edge railings of the cab to be a little sloppy, but other than that the cab looks great.

verdict: B+. awesome punchie tones, great volume for my needs, tho the flat EQ could be problematic if you dont have a versatile enough EQ.
  6. Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    "one caveat, i did notice the corners and edge railings of the cab to be a little sloppy, but other than that the cab looks great".

Sloppy how?
    Not cut properly (straightness)?
    Poorly assembled (not lined up correctly)?

Sorry to hear about this.

Glad they're serving you well soundwise.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, they just werent as tight fitting to the corner protectors as i'd like... but, as my gf tells me, i'm known to be INCREDIBLY, ANNOYINGLY picky.

if you want i can post up some pics. i've got rehearsal tomorrow, so i'll see what i can snap.

e.g. i was a little miffed that the carpet fuzz on my Aguilar looked a little too thin on the left side and not as thick as the right side, and tried to get a discount... i tried... :D

oh yea, another thing, the Acme's are amazing for testing and comparing preamp tubes. using my Demeter pre, i could tell how steely the mids were with the JAN Philips 12AX7's i was using. there was a detail in the tone that i couldnt get from my other cabs. very nice. :)
  8. Have you tried the Aguilar in combination with the B-2? If you haven't, could you give it a try for me?

I know that the technical data would indicate that those two would be severely mismatched... but I always like to trust my ears, not data. My hope is that the Acme would add a quickness and clarity that the Aguilar doesn't have, or from the other side, that the Aguilar would add a thickness that the Acme lacks.

Some would insist that mixing cab brands is bad... but I'd like to add a B-1 to my GS112... kind of the ultimate mini-stack. :cool:
  9. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    My experience with my b-4 is that it is INCREDIBLY thick! I too have wanted to try mixing my Acme with my boogie RR15 but to add more gut wrenching volume not thickness. I have never heard a B-2 but if it sounds anything like the 410, it would be huge!:D I'm very interested in the outcome of your experiment.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

to my ears, the Acme was mucho faster, and maybe a bit more articulate too. the aggie just felt too dark and might have covered up alot of stuff i wanted to hear. as much love as i have for the little guy, the Acme just has more authority and punch. didnt seem as soft. its pretty obvious to me, that the Acme could be my new small rig cab.

IMHO, for most guys who do smaller gigs and only need a little 1x12, the B-2 could be serve them well. its small, light, powerful, and full range. what isnt there to love about it?
  11. ...but used TOGETHER, would they complement each other or would they suck?
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i dont see how it wouldnt sound great. but make sure you're running in stereo to vary the volume, cause the sensitivity and efficient is drastically different.

then again, given the B-2 covers alot of the same ground as the Aggie and then some, i'd prolly just sell my Aggie, and go with another B-2. ;)
  13. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Is the Aguilar and Bergie together louder than the Acme?
  14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Joker....if you like the way one Acme B2 sounds, your going to love the way two of them sound's better that twice as good if you know what I mean:)
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    by far!

the little Acme can only do so much. as much as i'd like to think its a magical box, it does have its limitations. :D
  16. Joker, you've played through the EA 1x12, right? How would you say the EA 1x12 and the B2 compare?
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

tough call... guess i "need" to visit Bass Boutique for evaluation purposes. hehe...

but from what i can remember, the EA had a slightly more steely, acutely, authoritative punch in the lows. it'd be hard to get that brick in the gut like slam the EA had. its that memorable. still the punch of the Acme was nice, especially with a nice goose in the 150hz freq with my j-retro's mid sweep. punchie, but smoother and not as severe.

the EA also had lots of airy highs. but overall, the Acme just had that smoother feel. almost compressed and "blanketed" to me at first, but again, not overly so that you cant compensate like on my Aggie GS112. with the Acme, hit the brite switch and open up the treble boost, and i can still get a nice airyness.

btw, i just came back from rehearsal tonight, and tho i did forget to bring the camera, i tried to make more mental notes. i'm convinced this is my new small gig cab. 10's have that nice punch, and i could easily dial in all the punch i'd want with my j-retro's mid sweep set to the lowest 150hz range. all that with the lows handling of a 15"? having a flat response is killer with the right EQ.

hehe, i am the "Funkycarnivore of cabs".... :D:D
  18. Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Hey Joker,
    If you could post some photos of you new fave-rave, that would be grrrrreat!
    I myself am "too picky" also, and seeing what to expect when I order my Acme will help me (possibly) be more accepting. :D

Oh, I nearly forgot......
    Does your Acme sound as good played quieter, as it does loud?
    I know some cabs seem to retreat (lose overall tone), when played at a lower level, as opposed to being pushed hard.
    (Although it's a different cab), I'm curious what I might expect from the B-4, as it will have to (at times), be used in smaller gigs.

Thanks Again.
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

good question. but in all honesty, that's a tough call.

in the lit tho, it says it sounds punchier with the more wattage you pump into it, and i'm inclined to agree. it takes a good deal of wattage to get those deeper than normal coils moving.

again, for the church thing, stage volume had to be low, so i only had maybe 200 watts pumped into it. still, it sounded pretty punchie and nice to me.

on the next gig, i'll be able to open it up a bit more and really see how this baby shines.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats Joker, nothing like finding great sounding gear. I'll be going to Rochester at the end of the month but I doubt I'll be able to swing by ;)

When I had my B2 I paired it with an Eden D210XLT and a Genz Benz 12T. Ran each pair mono through one 400w amp. It sounded very nice in both situations. Generally speaking, it was like adding a killer sub to the other cabs, that's where it really shined, while the other cabs tended to overshadow it in the higher frequencies.

Never got a chance to try two B2 cabs at once. I've come to realize over the last couple of years the massive difference a second cab can make.