1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Acoustic 8x10 stack. Should I do it??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noseferatu, May 5, 2010.

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  3. Carrots (Divulge)

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
  2. You can get an SVT 810 for pretty cheap. Look on the classifieds. For 600 or so for a cab, maybe less, you can get a good head.

3. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    If I'm gonna get the SVT 810E, there HAS to be an SVT to go with it. No exceptions!!:p

So maybe use a VT Bass pedal with the Acoustic??

4. The Gen-II? I got one after another guy at GC was smackin' a Stu Something-or-other Fender (is that right? - it had a big price tag on it) bass around pretty good with a Neo 810 Mark Bass and a TSA 500 and there was another MB 410 next to it, but I don't know if it was hot or not - I doubt it - then he went over and tried the Gen-II 810 and the B-600 head.

He said he was impressed, although he could hear certain nuances in minor ways - but he said the Neo was away from the back wall and the B-810 wasn't, so he thought the sound was crawling over itself a little. It has 'tons of volume' he said.

Other than that he said it was pretty good. That's why I got one. I cannot speak for the MB stuff, as I don't have any and have only worked on a smaller MB 210 one day - but I was also impressed with the MB stuff too - real growly.

For sure the only recommend I can make is that the Gen-II Acoustic 810 can pretty well fill a 20 acre site with 600 Watts.

5. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Mar 5, 2010
    Buy something quality that's used.
    That stuff bearing the old acoustic name is junk. It has no connection to the old company. They just bought the name.

6. my acoustic b410 is not bad but i only bought it because i got it and the b200h head for 295$, the tolex tears very easy dont plan on it looking nice very long.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i wouldn't. i'd suck it up and get a good used 810e for $300-400. or i'd get one of the countless used 810's out there that are better. in all fairness, the acoustic sounds ok. but just ok. next to an svt 810e, there's no comparison. next to the markbass cl108 i tried at the same time as the acoustic 810, there's no comparison. plus acoustic uses chipboard instead of real wood. some older 810e's use it, too...don't get one of them.

btw, for $150, the vt is fantastic and will tide you over nicely until you can get an svt head. but it all goes to crap if your cab sucks.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

IMO, the above sounds like dumb reasoning to buy a cheap new cab that's junk when compared to a good used cab - then, *hoping* a pedal will magically make the junky new cab better than it actually is... I will always buy quality used gear over new crappy gear...

But hey, it's your money to spend...

- georgestrings

9. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Agreed.
    OR...
    you could always do what I do and buy quality over quantity. I could have had $$ left over if I bought an Acoustic 8x10 over my Berg 1x12", but I know that's not necessarily a fair comparison. How about a Carvin BRX10.4?

10. The Carvin BRX10.4 neo cab is an excellent choice for a cab, plenty of deep low end and lots of serious punch to your tone. I've been using it for 2 yrs. and have had lots of compliments about my tone.

11. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Bro.... if you look on your craigslist, you can get a USED Ampeg 8x10 for less than your NEW Acoustic.

thats what i'd do mate.

12. I have a GenII Acoustic 810, and it works fine for the big outdoor shows with my GK1000RBII. It's plenty loud and to me sounds about the same as most 810 cabs. My main rig is an Orange, so the Acoustic is just to supplement at the big outdoor shows. I've always been a little paranoid about buying used speaker cabs, as I'm careful not to abuse mine, so they seem to last forever.

13. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    Get a good cab - the speakers in the current Acoustic are really cheap and the cab is also undersized.

A quality used cab sounds great - or get a new Agulair.

14. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Sounds like you want an Ampeg...if you get the Acoustic, the GAS will literally (yes, literally) make you want to strip naked on top of a Mayan pyramid and rip your own heart out before you chuck yourself down the steps. Or was that Aztec? Either way, get what you want...don't settle.