1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Acoustic Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Owl, Jun 17, 2008.

1. ghostinthemach

ghostinthemach Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    My Eminence CA154 went into a very similarly designed enclosure made by Peavey another under-appreciated American amp maker.
    506E2D74-08C0-4DCB-8C71-6994C2316307.
    Before above. $100 on EBay locally.
    Below during remake and after at bottom
    98AAF2D2-B393-4D66-B338-C0F763F7EFD7.
    70F3BF72-113B-4155-A227-FBA9C64BB66C.
    I wanted a scaled down retro 4 ohm 15” cab with that rear-port to front scoop thing-y for my 120 and Peavey VB-2 tube head(s).
    Love it.
    BA7026AA-0C7B-4AC9-B777-B7F93F208BE8.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    zon6c-f and StingRay85 like this.
  2. StingRay85

StingRay85

Dec 18, 2011
    Looks nice. I pulled out the CA154 from a very similar self made cab, and loaded it with a JBL E140 8 ohm that I got in the mail today. Powered that one with the 125 head, sounds very sweet too. Maybe I should consider to swap the JBL with of the original drivers of the 406, maybe the top one because I read a lot of complaints that the JBL doesnt go very low in frequency

3. StingRay85

StingRay85

Dec 18, 2011
    The 125 is really a cool amp. The spring reverb and switchable master volume that can be controlled makes it more versatile than a 120. As my new 125 has a bad speaker, I will turn it into a head

4. ghostinthemach

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    I just recently saw that same strategy posed here on TB and read that it wasn’t a good move because the pair are not only a mis-match but both are bound by the ‘excursion capabilities’ of the weaker speaker anyway, as it would begin to fart first, so to speak.

5. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    IMG_0050.JPG Here is the Peavey cab you speak of, it's about a dead ringer for the old Acoustic 136 combo which is the same amp as the 140 head. Mine is laid on its side to match the 140 width.

ghostinthemach likes this.
  6. JacklegBass

JacklegBass

Jul 4, 2004
    Hey Hundred proof,

I'm curious exactly what paint brand/type/color you used for the powder blue accent strip.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    IMG_0496.JPG Bonnet Blue from Hobby Lobby

Gaolee and ghostinthemach like this.
  8. JacklegBass

JacklegBass

Jul 4, 2004
    Ahh, thanks. That's a new one. It looks very good.

I've collected hundreds of paint swatch samples from everywhere trying to get a perfect match... only problem is that there isn't a single perfect "Acoustic blue" color. The blues on all my Acoustic amps and cabinets have slight differences, probably due to aging differently, different exposure to smokey clubs back in the day, etc. Also perhaps due to different colors used across 1st/2nd/3rd generations.

Has anyone identified the model number of that Peavey cabinet?

9. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    If I remember it just says 115 it's very old probably about the same vintage as the 140, it came loaded with an original Black Widow 1501 which is not original to the cab, but was Peaveys take on a JBL so I'm told, sounds great in that cab.

10. ghostinthemach

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    Updated Acoustic stable:
    04C35E0B-90E4-4D66-8FDE-DAC7E8ADFA38.
    Including one imposter...laying on its side to match. Great minds...

Fuzzonaut, Gaolee, 10cc and 8 others like this.
  11. StingRay85

StingRay85

Dec 18, 2011
    Nice touch on the 270 eq sliders. My 270 is at the tech, need to get rid of the noise on the reverb channel, and the bang when switching between fuzz and reverb. Its a real beast though, the 220 I have doesnt even come near.

12. Danthedude

Danthedude

Mar 15, 2018
    Wish I was that rich! Lol! Nice collection!

13. ghostinthemach

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    Hey this exotic and lavish collection of rock & roll tech history costed a total of
    $1,658.14 including my newly added 402 cab from GC used online for $360.06 incl tax & shipping.
    Average per piece is now $236.88. Again, not bad for vintage pro gear!
    I could pay a lot more for a lot less in today’s marketplace.

14. evilleotter

evilleotter

Jun 8, 2018
    Just bought my first Acoustic amp last night, B100 MKII. Upgrade from my first amp, small little Rumble 15.
    I tried out the Ampeg BA's, Peavy Max's, and Fenders, but the Acoustic sounded better to my ears and had more features that I wanted than any of them! Got a sweet deal on it, gently used, for $180 at my local GC. Played until my wife and kids yelled at me to go to bed!
    Been playing about a year and I was starting to get a little bored with the sound from the little 15, but now the excitement about practicing and playing is back 100 fold!

I've really enjoyed reading about other people's rigs on this thread.

Roxbororob and ghostinthemach like this.
  15. ghostinthemach

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    My 270 is a bit noisy also. The fuzz/verb circuit is a little glitchy. The ‘verb’ seems a little quieter than the fuzz. Tremolo works awesome.
    It took me a while to notice that the amp feet on my 270 drop into the retainer holes on the 406w cab. I expected a different ‘foot print’ because of the width differences between amp models. Smart people. The 270/406w combo has got to be amazing cranked up. Looking forward to the next larger outdoor stage.

16. Danthedude

Danthedude

Mar 15, 2018
    I have the same amp. Great for practice or lower volume level gigs . My guitar player has a vintage .marshall half stack n I can't keep up with him just using my b100mk2. I use the effects send to the input of a 100 watt crate w a15 and get by. Got bigger gear but got a bunch of blown speakers. That acoustic sounds good at about halfway up but above that it's anyone's game! But I'm still keep in it cause I like it!

17. 370 was designed to operate 4 ohms and with 2 ohms max power

Original concept was 1 301 @ 4 or running 2 @ 2 ohms
    I’ve run mine with an 8 Ohm cab just fine but 2 ohms assures max power potential

Wouldn’t run below 2 ohms

Oddly speaker ohms run a little inconsistent from actual speaker rating

Gaolee likes this.
  18. StingRay85

StingRay85

Dec 18, 2011
    I also have a 201 and 406 where I can do something with the speakers. I bought a JBL E140 and now saw a second one pop up for a nice price. They are very efficient speakers and can take a lot of power/abuse. Is there an easy way to found out how they would match with either the 201 or 406?

19. Always wanted to experiment with/ 201 which was originally powered w/ 2-15 Altec And a white hf Horn

I’m no expert but my opinion says go fir it. Concerns about the Horn with bass otherwise should be quite tasty

20. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Chicago live 1970. High energy....
    Aside from Peter Ceteras 361 rig look for a couple of other Acoustic heads in odd places. Woah Terry Kath!

EDIT: I heard this while driving to band practice last night (Randy Bachman played it on his radio show). Unmistakeable Acoustic sound, made a mental note to find it on you tube and post it today.

TomB likes this.