The Adventure begins

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully43, Mar 17, 2006.

1. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    First off ....Thanks to all here on this board and any and all are great!!!...for any advise in the past on playing and helping me get thru the band ups and downs.

I play tonight for the first time in my band and feel about 90% ready for it but am determined to do my best and for the band to look our best also. The band is about a month away from being 100% but the gig was a last second offer and we took it to help out a new bar who waited to long to get a band for St Pats. I will be playing with my reg guitarist and one who i only played with once before months ago....he used to be in the band and knows the songs and the rest of the band and they assure me hes ready:( I know hes good and that helps. When i played with him once before it was great.I know our songs but there are a few small parts on a song or two i might have to fake but they are minor at best....i am more worried about watching for cues and getting out of songs and changes they might throw around since these guys are known for doing massive solos when together.We have 30 or so songs and need to stretch the night so thats a help! I have a feeling my fingers might be bleeding by morning.The pressure is on and i will need to get over the nerves....any tips? I stay back near the drums and watch the guitars alot. The owner said if we do well she will book us as a regular there at full price although this gig pays pretty close to it tonight.So my fellow Tbers i bid you a fairwell for now as i get ready ...i will check back on this board up to gig time for a tip if you leave one or just a good luck slap on the back......I'm hard on myself and pray come Saturday morning i wont be at the local consignment shop dumping off all my bass gear cuz i suk and my dreams went bye-bye....ya know fishin is right around the corner and no bass ever booed me:D
  2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003

Go get 'em dude. I'm sure you'll rock the house. Enjoy yourself !
  3. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    Spring turkey season is right around the corner too!! :)
    Whatever happens, you'll remember tonight for a long time to come. I play tonight too at a familiar club with familiar material and personnell and your "90% ready" beats me!

Enjoy it, and make sure you get paid. Doesn't get any better than that.

If I had one piece of advice for you, I'd say just play. Play your parts like you mean it. Remember what you do good and correct the rest for next time. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

4. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Rock the hell out of that place, and have fun!
  5. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Well friends i made it thru.....took me untill the age of 44 to get on the stage for the first time:hyper: Funny i thought i would be so shakey but i really never was i was very cool and confident. I guess I wanted this so bad and have prepared so hard for the last 8 months that i demanded myself to do my best and not to let nerves ruin the night....they did not.The band did 4 sets to a good sized crowd that was pretty rowdy and drunk we had some dancers and all had a great time. I had a some flubs some wrong notes but i scored some cool fills that i was shocked i had the marbles to try in my first ever gig.Family and friends said i looked cool and calm and played very well and my bandmates gloated on my performance giving me an 8 out of 10. We did a fun cover of Rocky Mountain Way to a group of young cuties dancing and i really got into the swing of it on the front of the stage and moved to the music like i never knew i could...we rocked out to close to Rockin In The Free World and packed up and got paid.....what a high.....the money is cool but the high from the gig is still in my blood....cant wait till the next one ....i'm hooked.
  6. Congratulations! Of course, you now realize that the primary effect of gigging is to accelerate the GAS addiction!
  7. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    My gas is ok for now...i for once have a good rig and 2 basses as for now i am happy with....but you never know. Thanks