1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Adventure Continues! Issue with MIM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Sep 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I'm gonna make this one short. I bought the Fender Jazz for very good price online. The pickups were rusty and super low so I bought new ones to replace them. I got pickups for cheap from a MIM Jazz 60s classic series. They do not fit! The neck pick up fits but not the bridge one. My friend had a pair of dimazos and they didn't fit either. I find this very very strange. I can't figure out the science behind why the pickups remain so low. I changed the foam and I got smaller screws and no difference. Any one have any theories? 20190910_214534.

2. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    is it just an illusion with the picture? it looks like the bridge and the bridge pickup are parallel to each other, but they don't look parallel to the neck pickup. This makes looks like the bridge isn't straight.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Pre-2001 Fender Standard MIM Jazz Basses have pickup cavities that are both (short) neck pickup sized.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You might need more foam and longer screws if you want the pickups to set higher.

5. I believe there are methods to get 2 neck-sized single coil pickups in opposite polarity (for hum-cancelling) but I would just get 2 neck-sized DiMarzios.

I have found that I need to put a surprisingly large amount of foam stacked up, then compressed down, to get the right amount of tension.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  6. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    THIS!!!! IT has been well documented. You might get away by using a neck cover for the bridge , and cutting away the excess pickup material , but in the end you might end up paying more than simply buying a new neck pup.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. Does having two neck pups change the sound at all?

I found a way to raise the pick ups. I held them up while screwing them back in and they have pretty much stayed the way I held them. They are interesting pick ups they are stuck to the covers and super rusted.

The neck says its 2003 and the body is pre-2001? Hmmm do I have a frakenbass in my hands?

fhm555 likes this.
  8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    “Barrel distortion” of the camera lens.

9. I’m not super knowledgeable on this, you should do your research, but: the way i understand it, fender used 2 identical pickups in this period. Polarity of Either ++ or - -. So while the tone won’t change per se, you don’t get hum cancelling like you would with + -. (One reason I abandoned J for P basses, but I digress)

I think you can get custom pickups, 2 necks, one wound opposite direction.

Or get 2 hum cancelling neck pickups (like DiMarzio)

Or widen the cavity a bit on the bridge, and put in any ol set you like.

A nice thread on the topic:
    Fender's final word on different pickups in MIM Jazz?

dab12ax7ef likes this.
  10. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    If you decide to widen the bridge slot, I recommend getting a new, sharp wood chisel and carefully shaving just enough material away. It is not that difficult, I did this to mine with good results. It’s really not a big deal to do this. DO NOT think about using a Dremel for this, as some threads suggest! And there are more pickups to choose from that are the normal, longer size.

tbplayer59 and thetragichero like this.
  11. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I had told you this back in the end of August, when you posted the thread comparing the three basses, even before you purchased the MIM Standard … ;)

"The MIM Standard that is compared is also far from stock, not to mention that it may even be a 'parts bass' if the neck indeed is an '03, the pups are not stock to that year MIM Standard model, the pots are a question also if the knobs are press on style over split shaft pots they would also not be stock for an '03, and might even indicate a Fender Standard body from the 90's …"

ColdEye and Wisebass like this.
  12. Yes, you called it! Very impressive!

13. In passing, over the years with so many production variations, if you're going to swap Jazz pickups, BE SURE you pull your tape measure or calipers and measure the shells before you pull your wallet. They can vary enough not to fit this one thought they fit perfectly on that one, and on and on.

14. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I would adjust the pickup route on the body so the proper pickups will fit. If you have a dremel and a steady hand you can do this quite easily. It is really only a small amount of material that needs to be removed. Then you can put whatever pickups you want in there.

It is no big deal, your not going to hurt the resale value. In fact the bass will be far better off with the standard sized routes.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Yep, you got a body cut for 2 neck pickups.

16. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    If you don't have a dremel or don't want to invest in one. Go down to the hardware store and buy some heavy grit sandpaper or a file. Sandpaper is the cheaper option. Wrap it around a carpenters pencil and get to sanding. Won't take too long.

17. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    A dremel is NOT the right tool for this. Use a file, or a chisel and some sand paper for clean up. Free handing with a power tool will end up with a mess for us non professional wood workers.

You only need a few 64th off each side.

EatS1stBassist and tbplayer59 like this.
  18. LeroyRT

LeroyRT

Aug 7, 2014
    GA
    My Squier jazz made in the 90s has both short pickups. I didn't know such a thing existed when I bought the total electronics solderless thing from Dimarzio. Received a long and a short (what I ordered). Called up Dimarzio and we exchanged the long for the short and all is well in the world. After copper shielding, it's the quietest bass I own.

When you buy the dimarzio package, the directions say to cut up the foam they ship with in the package to back the pickups. I doubled up what they said to use and it works great. Super easy to set up.

EDIT: if you are anything like I am (wouldn't have any luck if not for bad), then I wouldn't suggest chiseling or taking a dremel to your bass. Just get the right pickup.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  19. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I used a dremel with great success... but you are right, one false move and you could have a mess. Remembering my experience, at least with the bit that I used, I had no problem controlling the cut.

EatS1stBassist and dab12ax7ef like this.
  20. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    i second a sharp chisel vs a dremel. take it easy, don't try to get it all off in one go
    ask me how i know!

EatS1stBassist and dab12ax7ef like this.