1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Adventure Continues! Issue with MIM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Sep 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

As stated previously, the main issue is that the bridge pickup is always slightly longe than the neck pickup. Unfortunately the routs on the pre-2001 MIM J basses do not reflect this.

I actually own a pre-'01 MIM Jazz that has this issue. I acquired a set Fender Original Jazz Bass pickups (great pu's btw) and ended up just literally FORCING the bridge pickup into the rout. It's working out just fine. It's kind of a cheap-o bass and I think I got the pickups for free so I totally don't care.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    As stated earlier, there are many threads eluding to this issue on TB … here is a link to a recent one that will probably give you all you want to know about the issue and possible solutions … I go into a bit of detail in post #15 on that thread to help in identifying basses with the issue and a couple other details ...

Aw man, Fender, really?

3. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    If you take the pickups out of all of my basses, you would find that more than one will have Lego pieces under the foam for this very reason.

4. Seriously? Lego pieces?

5. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I suppose if I was a professional luthier I would call them "Knobby plastic shims".

There is a flat piece that is nearly the exact same size as a P-bass pickup... I also use self stick weather strip foam, and without the added support underneath, the pickup would sink into the body when I planted my big fat thumb on it. The foam on some of my old basses was so compressed and worn out it wasn't doing much of anything.

6. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Listen to this man! I've done this personally. Get a new, sharp wood chisel that's about the width of the rout. You will literaly be SHAVING a small bit of wood from each end. SHAVING. <=== This.

7. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Rather than modifying the neck route, I'd recommend simply buying two neck pickups. Whatever Dimarzio's your friend has, Dimarzio will sell you a neck pup. A place like BestBass Gear will sell you two neck pickups.

Alternatively as lots of folks put a bridge J pup in a bass with a different style of neck pup (P/J basses for example) you may be able to find a good deal on the used market from someone's extras.

AFAIK, all types of Dimarzio J pickups, are hum buckers anyway so it's just fine to have two neck pups. If you're want a higher output pickup for the bridge postition, head over to the pickup forum and someone should be able to give you the approximate output for what you've got and what you might be looking at.

8. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I've even used my wife's heavy-grit nail file. That thing also works great on sharp fret ends!

EatS1stBassist and dab12ax7ef like this.
  9. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I have a routing template for jazz basses around here in one of my storage bins. But being in a different country, let alone not local, it doesn't help you much.

I would ask around the Toronto area to see if you can borrow one, maybe put in a Craigslist ad or whatever is the equivalent up there.

Also, if finding matching paint is a problem, you can use black paint for the inside cavity as well. Particularly if the pups are black.

10. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I tried putting American replacement “62s on a MIM Jazz. We had to rout out the body for the bridge pickup a little to get it to fit.

I will say this, I made a huge improvement and the routing, while not perfect, was nearly noticeable.