"The Adventure of the Cursed Studio"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bongolation, May 7, 2005.

1. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Some of you may have followed the remarkable story of all the flukey hardware and software problems that have cursed my home studio for the past couple of years, effectively preventing me from doing any serious recording.

I thought that I was approaching the end of my troubles, but it appears this is not the case, as now my computer or video card seems to be killing monitors, which is an expensive habit.

A brand new CRT monitor I had purchased for the system died after perhaps twenty or thirty total hours of use. Naturally, because of all the other delays in getting the studio up, the monitor was out of warranty, so it was tossed.

When I asked on numerous fora for suggestions concerning the possible cause of this early failure, I was assured that it was just a bad monitor and early failures were not uncommon.

As the Radeon 7000 AGP card in the computer is dual-monitor capable and this function is of great utility in coping with the many screens encountered in recording software, I got another CRT monitor and also added a monitor from my office that was left over from an upgrade.

Aside from the apparently insurmountable problem of getting the monitors to match visually, everything seemed to be reasonably functional, at least at first.

After only a few hours of use, however, one of the monitors, the one that I knew to be good and which had been working fine in my office, began to show severe vertical wavering top to bottom. It was my recollection that this symptom showed up some minutes before the first monitor failure, so I immediately powered down, and have not turned on the system since.

Someone suggested that there might be a problem with the refresh rate, but settings are for "optimum" the default in Win98SE (which this system must use because of legacy hardware).

I'm open to any suggestions here. Replacing monitors is getting to be a nuisance.

Thanks for any constructive input.
  2. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Think this might do better in the recording section. Probably get more replies over there. If you PM a mod, they can move it. GL with your problems :)

EDIT: NVM. I think you're in the right spot. Didn't read the entire thread...sorry :)
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Maybe the card is faulty? Then put in a newer card than the 7000. Cheaper than a monitor...
  4. try setting the refresh rate to 60, that should be safe on pretty much any monitor i know

some cards also allow you to set the resolution too high...
  5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    where do u live? i have a ton of old monitors id give you and you can go through them as fast as you want.
  6. +10

You can probably get a 9000 series card for like 100-150 now, definetally cheaper than burning through monitors. I think your video card may have just crapped out on you, and it's time for a shiny new one.
  7. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    This is a shiny new one. :p

It's got about thirty hours on it, max.

But, considering how utterly cursed this studio and everything connected to the recording computer is, it would make sense that it's bad, like so many other things were right out of the box.