1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The aestethics of the pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by masturbationface, Jun 2, 2014.

1. masturbationface

masturbationface

May 29, 2014
    Oslo
    Is anyone here concerned about the design or the color, or let's just say the overall aesthetics of their pedals? Personally I stick to white and pink pedals. Now awaiting an MXR M82 which suits me well adding a purple sparkle. Considering to get the small and green big muff also. I feel green will go well alongside the other ones. I was considering the Stanley Clarke-wah, but red just doesn't feel right. Anyone with similar philosophies concerning the choice of pedals? I also take recommendations on pink, purple, grey and WHITE pedals, thanks.

2. lowendmetal

lowendmetal

Jan 30, 2013
    Heh your going to need a wren and cuff Phat phuck b

3. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    EQD Rainbow machine is pink.

masturbationface likes this.
  4. I use whatever sounds good.
    The color is the absolute last thing I would ever even consider considering.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    ^^^That

I mean, it's on the floor. I step on it after I walk into the piss soaked bathroom floor at some random bar.

Vinny_G, Mosfed and Nashrakh like this.
  6. masturbationface

masturbationface

May 29, 2014
    Oslo
    Thanks! Keep em coming, greatly appreciated.

That's alright. I'm into colors.

I wash the piss stains off my pedals from time to time.

huckleberry1, Mosfed and rtav like this.
  7. masturbationface

masturbationface

May 29, 2014
    Oslo
    Pedals in gold also much wanted!

Goldmember likes this.
  8. masturbationface

masturbationface

May 29, 2014
    Oslo
    I currently use the Malekko Barker Assmaster and the 105q CryBaby. Both awesome. I however want more liquid and am hoping the M82 will do the trick. Also want the Big Muff Pi just to have an alternative distortion.

What does it do?

What does it do?

9. JensCambre

JensCambre

Feb 3, 2014
    Belgium
    Couldn't care less about what they look like. They're on the floor, beer gets spilled on it, ... eventually some paint gets chiped off here and there. first thing is sound, second is build quality, i want them to last long and not have to get a replacement every 50 odd shows... when people come to a show they want to have fun and listen to good music. Nobody gives a rats' a** if you have pretty pink pedals or not.

10. The piss stain thing made me chuckle.

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    If youre into Malekko and the B:assmaster, check out the Diobolik, a smaller, lesser version of the BM. Also I just picked up a VFE Wood Chipper. It ROCKS! It is a clone of the old Maestro fuzz, as is the BM. You can order VFE pedals in any color and or design you want. They actually have a pedal editor on their site to mock it up. I dont mind what a pedal looks like much. Its always cooler if it looks cool to me, but in the end, its what it sounds like that counts to me. I am forever wanting to change most knobs on all my pedals though :)

12. tsheldon

tsheldon

Jun 20, 2005
    Western New York
    I don't really care about the colors but sometimes I'll pay for a custom color/design or limited color. I figure it will be easier to sell in the future. Now if I could ever convince myself to sell old pedals....

gregmon79 likes this.
  13. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    The EQD Rainbow machine is basically a pitch shifting noise generator. It has an expression jack which really opens up some cool sounds. It's not extremely versatile but what it does is pretty cool.

14. Sound. Then form factor. Period.

15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Personally I could care less about the aesthetics of my pedal board. And looking at the one I just put together for a gig this week with this new group its mostly grey and black anyway. I have drooled over a pedal even more because it is super cool looking (AnalogMan juicer for example) but never to the point of choosing it over something that sounds better.

But if I were as obsessed with color, I would give my pedals to artist friends and have them customize them into whatever colors and designs I wanted rather than chose pedals that were already in that color. I would probably wait for a few gigs before customizing them so I could flip them if absolutely necessary. But I am also sure that it might actually be easier to sell an artist designed Big Muff over the 1 million others in the classifieds. Now if they are only white and pink maybe a bit less but....

To the comment regarding - no one in the audience cares what your pedal board looks like - I have to agree. It is VERY VERY rare that I have someone come up and ask me about my pedal board - and even if they are a musician usually we (on this effects forum) have gotten WAY deeper into particular effects.

The only time I can remember it happening in the last year was this super cute and slightly drunk girl that came up after a set and started asking me how I had created some of the sounds that I had made. As I started explaining she spilled a whole gin and tonic on my pedal board. END OF CONVERSATION....

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  16. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    I do like pedals from the same manufacturer or similar enclosure (makes wiring cleaner and more uniform, especially if you use the couplers like I like). As for color, whatever works/sounds best is 99% of the decision. I do put a lot of aesthetic value on how the board looks as a whole (wires hidden nicely, pedals laid out well, ease of use, etc). I like a nice tidy efficient board.

gregmon79 and AaronVonRock like this.
  17. if i find more than one pedal that does what i want, i'll go for the ones that look good together.
    sound, size, power & specs (mono/stereo, controls, ect) are the priority.

i've got a black & primary colors thing going on my bass board.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  18. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    I woudlnt buy a pedal for its looks, its all bout the sound but i would pimp out the pedal board a little bit cause your gotta stay Pimpin right?

1AA0510A-8EE6-4937-B971-862678D36382_zpsvzhz2iss.

19. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I will buck the trend and say, with NO shame, that aesthetics matter DEEPLY to me. I buy gear that (I think) looks good AND sounds good.

Fortunately, there's no shortage of companies making equipment that are conscientious about the way it looks as well as sounds, so I never find myself backed into the corner of "AHHHHH! That type of pedal (delay, compressor, chorus, whatever) is made only by people who don't care how it looks so it's toooooo FUGLY to own and use; I guess I'll go without it!" I have seen gear that was too ugly for serious consideration, so I look elsewhere for (what I think is) equally good-sounding gear that (what I think is) aesthetically pleasing.

Perhaps it's my background as an artist and my OCD, but.... WHATEVER.

I don't choose what I think is good-looking and good-sounding gear because people will notice (if they do, fine if not equally fine), I do it because I notice it and ugly gear distracts the hell out of me. I'm looking at it the thinking, "Uggggghhhhhh. That's NASTY." Ugliness is (to me and me only) a mental distraction, drawing my attention to it for the wrong reasons, it becomes a "problem" that needs to be "corrected" by me or by getting rid of it. Aesthetically pleasing gear compels no negative reaction from me, so I can enjoy it fully without distraction.

It would be interesting to hear from others on TB who have an arts background (fine art for me) to see if bassist with an art background are more likely to be influenced by the aesthetics or hideousness of a particular product.

Then again, it could just be my OCD.

As to the OP, YES, my pedal board matches (very closely) my pedals and they match each other and the board, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

But that's me, and I'm clearly not like most others, which is cool. Enjoy your pedalboard, and I'll enjoy mine.

OK... now you've heard from a voice of dissent in favor of aesthetics. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

[​IMG]

No, it's not the nicest (a cheap-O GORM build), and yes, I'm getting all cables that match (yellow and black), and working on wiring it beneath the top so no cables dangle out or anything - more pics soon to follow.

masturbationface and gregmon79 like this.
  20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Sound comes first of course, but the form factor is also important to me since I'm using every millimeter of space on a board that I don't want to make any bigger.

Name, color, graphics ... not that important, as long as it's not something obscene I would be embarassed to show others. But the looks probably affects a purchase to some degree anyway, unconciously if not conciously.