Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Age Old Question - J or P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul182, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    Sorry bout this, I'm sure it's been Asked so many times but I'm new :help:

Anyway I pick Jazz over Precision hands down because It's better in every way. Just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    A Jazz bass excells...at being a jazz bass.

A Precision bass is perfect...at being a Precision bass.

They're both great, none 'better' than the other.

In Leo Fender's world, he didn't really differentiate between models as much as we do...he saw them both as 'the Fender Bass'.

3. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    A search can you do, and a thread will find you...

4. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    Sorreee, :spit:
    But I dunno how to do that. :confused:
    I think they are both very different.
    The jazz's thin neck, better looks and tone.

5. Yeah, they are two different beasts, I would say get one of each... and a good compromise is the P + J configuration...

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    If it ain't a seven string upright with MIDI capability, I want nothing to do with it.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Get with it, dude... being a moderate is so 1990's.

P-BASSES RULE!

:p :p :p

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I prefer the P for pick tone and the jazz for fingerstyle.

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

You've seen my gear...you know I love them both!

Sadly, they've all been cased since I got my last two basses. :(

10. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I"m a P guy myself, but I do love the PJ configured basses the most :)

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Here we go again...
    This is like a "screws vs. nails" thread in a Handyman's Forum!!
    Everybody know they both have their place. Some like one or the other for certain applications, guys that only build decks are "screw users" all the way while roofers depend on nails to get it built. There are alway tool toting hacks out there that will only use one or the other because that's all they have, or they don't own BOTH a screwdriver AND a hammer, but they won't tell you that because they are admirably commited what they do and how they do it!

12. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    Yeah but which do you think is better :confused:

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Everyone knows that screws are much more advanced and have many more features and uses than nails. My favorite finish for a screw is sunburst. They're much more beautiful than 'natural finish' screws.

14. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    In general single pickup basses have a more solid tone than multiple pickup basses. They also sustain more because of less magnetic pull from the pickups.

I have a '52 P-bass (actual, not reissue) and a '57. With flatwound strings either one is unbelievable in the recording studio.

I've played Jazz quite a bit too and love some of them, but the neck is too thin for a lot of manhandling.

Remember too that there is a lot of variation between individual Fender instruments over the course of 50 years!

15. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    I like to modify my screws. Nails sound so muddy.

How can you compare screws and nails in the same way you compare P and J basses?

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If I were limited to just one I would go with both.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Easily. They're both tools that are equally wonderful in the proper setting.

We don't always agree with the use and the setting, but that's sorta the whole point to having a choice.

In my case, I like both screws and nails. I like to have a few other fasteners around the house for other uses too.

If you look at people's equipment profiles around here, you'll see that plenty of people use screws, nails, and a pile of other stuff to get the job done.

18. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    Very True.
    But!
    Just because someone uses screws and nails, that doesn't mean they like them the same and don't think one is better than the other.

19. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    This certainly sounds like the optimum solution! LoPhat - you are a true genius! Buy both, try 'em out fer awhile and see which one you like better. You will probably fall in love with both and decide to keep 'em! One should always have a backup axe. Which one first? - BOTH. This is what credit cards are for

20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I can't believe I am going to do this.
    If you know what a Precision bass sounds like and you know what a Jazz bass sounds like the next thing is to figure out what you want to sound like. Once you have done that then you choose a bass. A bass holds the structure of the music together(do you see where I am going here?)much like nails and screws hold a structure together. If you've ever built anything than you know that nails and screws have their distinctive advantages and disadvantages which make them more or less appropriate depending on what kind of "structure" you are building. Is it making any sense, maybe I am WAY OUT THERE TODAY!!