The Aguilar factory.....a cool tour.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyGL, Mar 23, 2002.

1. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I got a nice tour of the Aguilar factory in NYC last Thursday. I was picking up a new DB359 because after a few weeks of use, mine developed a few unusual problems. Dave Boonshoft, Alex Aguilar and Rob Beale were all especially accommodating and took good care of me. The factory was very cool. Not very big at all but a very efficient and clean environment especially suited to building truly high quality hand made equipment. Besides the production area, Dave showed me his test room with more then a half-dozen quality basses where he tests each amp personally. In production, there is about six or so workbenches where the assembly people work. I got a nice birds-eye view of the inside of each amp. The hand soldering and neatness is exceptional. As a note for those patiently waiting for their new DB750’s, the shipping department had a few being boxed up and on their way out the door. I guess they started shipping those last week. I was there for about an hour and they gave me a hat and tee shirt on my way out. All and all it was a fun time and best of all I walked out with my new DB359, which I used on a gig last night (with my Eden 210xlt). I love that amp.

Any other factory tour stories out there?
  2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    A couple of years ago, I got to visit Rick Turner's shop in Santa Cruz, before he moved to his newer location. Although Rick seemed busy, he took his time and answered all of my questions. He had a fanned-fret archtop-jazz-guitar style mandolin on the bench. Wow. The shop wasn't very big, so it wan't much of a "tour", but it was really interesting all the same.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, i'm jealous. i would dig seeing the aguilar factory.

dave's the man. every namm show he makes sure i get some new article of aguilar clothing :D goes wonderfully with my db-680.

they need to come out with aguilar underroos - "tube power!!" :D :eek:
  4. LOL JT. :D Yeah, i want to see if i can get a tour myself. I bought a DB750 and i since they can't drop ship it to me, i want to see if maybe i can just go there and pick it up. Of course get a tour in the process too ;)
  5. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears

I got mine drop landed here yesturday.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Everyone, Brandin got his DB750 in a manner that will most likely not be available again. Aguilar refuses to drop ship except in extreme circumstances.

MrFortuneCookie, I will check with Aguilar Monday and see if I can arrange a visit for you that would include picking up your amp. I can't make any promises, but I'll do what I can.
  7. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    When I spoke to PJ, the sales manager at Aguilar a few months ago about drop shipping, he said they don't like to because they want their dealers to stock their amps, not just take orders. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense from a business point of view. The only reason I was able to pick up my new amp at the factory was because it was a replacement of one that had problems and the dealer I bought it from is no longer a dealer.