1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the airplane earplugs!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Feb 29, 2008.

1. so am concerned about hearing damage to my ears as my band has started to practice at louder volumes but the thing is in my city (new Delhi, India) i cannot really find dedicated earplugs for musicians all i have been able to get hold of is a couple of pair of the jet airways' earplugs (the ones they giveaway onboard during flights)

so would they help protect my hearing?

also can anyone suggest some ear plugs which are available at musician's friend or zzsound.com

ps: custom molded earplugs is not a feasable option for me

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think you need special earplugs that attenuate certain frequencies - if it's going to work for music?

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Well, they don't really hand out earplugs at airports here. I'm guessing you are refering to some airport were you have to walk from the terminal to the plane in open air nd could be exposed to jet noise?

In any case, do a search here about earplugs, there is tons of information.

I'm assuming the ones you are getting at the airport are foam earplug. I have been using earplugs for 10 years and have tried everything available, including two pairs of fitted plugs.

I have settled for these:
    http://www.labsafety.com/search/Howard+Leight/+-111161/39336/

A lot of people recommend these:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CABER20

But I personally think that they become uncomfortable because the hard material.

There is no magic solution. Fitted, custom plugs did not cut enough for me, and I was still hearing too much.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Actually, you need earplugs that are non-attenuating. You want all frequencies to be cut at the same level, to avoid the occlusion effect.

5. yeah right! the ear plugs should not colour the sound but the ones i have do! and every thing sounds funny the bass stays somewhat but the mids go out considerably so does treble

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    www.etymotic.com

I've used two products from this company - the custom-molded musician's plugs, which are fantastic. You actually can get to the point that you forget you're wearing them.

I'm also using the Ety-plugs, which are not quite as good as the customs, but much less expensive.

7. to all:
    the thing is i need to find some good recommended ear plugs which are available on some popular music gear website such as the ones i mentioned above so i can get them here along with some pedals next time a relative of mine visits Delhi from the US

i did have a look at those available at zzsounds.com do you think they would be a nice buy any opinions/experieces with these http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=ear+plugs&button=search%2Fheader&form=search

8. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    You can also try to find earplugs in a work security store, those stores where you can find shoes, belts, etc. They should have earplugs for construction workers

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Can you not order from websites? The Ety-plugs are only 12 bucks a pair and they're far superior to anything on that zzounds page...

10. i could only if they ship here but they wont! :bawl::spit::help:

11. Incognitus

Incognitus Amen!

Mar 25, 2006
    Eagle River, Alaska

I feel your pain. I live in Alaska and alot of companies won't ship up here.

12. yeah man but the thing is i always complained that we dont get quality gear here but now forget gear i cant find ear plugs damn!
    hell! i would be half deaf in a few months if i keep playing with my band i guess
    i hear ringing when am in quiet environments :meh:

13. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I'm pretty sure the Etymotic ER-20 is identical to the Hearos hi-fidelity earplug that is sold on MF and ZZsounds.

14. Sounds like an opportunity for you. Start a small company that imports products from Etymotic or other places. With a market like India you should get enough customers so you could spend most of your time playing bass. --Kent

15. Yes they are the same, just different brand. --Kent

16. would consider that after i turn 18
    :bag:

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well I remember a good discussion about this on the DB side :

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152873

..and there was talk about these headphones :

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

From their site :

Accurate sound reduction is achieved by combining a patented filter with the specific acoustics of a custom earmold. The combination of the two produces a resonance at approximately 2700 Hz (as in the normal ear) resulting in a smooth, flat attenuation.

Three types of attenuator buttons are available: ER•9, ER•15 and ER•25. The number corresponds with the amount of sound reduction provided in dB.

ER•9
    Provides 9 dB flat sound reduction through the mid range, with the same high-frequency attenuation as the ER•15.
    ER•15
    The first Musicians Earplug; the standard from which all other ER attenuators were designed. Provides uniform 15 dB sound reduction across frequencies.
    ER•25
    Provides 25 dB of relatively flat attenuation across frequencies.

That's what I was talking about! :p

18. I use Etymotic ER-20s, they are just the generic ones. Going to get the custom molded ones when there is some spare cash.

I have to say, its def. worth protecting your hearing, my hearing in the upper registrys is pretty badly damaged, and i hear a constant buzzing sound in the background. Protect your ears.

19. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Any ear protection is better than none. Find a small piece of foam, cut it into suitable pieces and use that if you can't find standard ear plugs anywhere. I've been in Delhi, so I know a little how things are there. I can imagine some things being difficult to find there, but I can't imagine standard earplugs being one of them.

I never saw anyone wearing earplugs in Delhi when I was there though. Not even in the metal workshop I visited. It was VERY loud in there and I'm happy I brought my own moulded earplugs with me. Those poor factory workers will be deaf or at least have severe damage to their hearing in a very short time... :rollno:

20. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

I know what you were talking about. They're referred to as non-attenuating earplugs because they don't attenuate frequencies at different rates.

To be perfectly accurate, ALL earplugs are attenuating.