Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Akai Deep Impact...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wushuguy, Mar 6, 2003.

1. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    ...is now on sale at musiciansfriend.com for $150, down from $180. Of course they had to wait till two days after I ordered mine to drop the price. :mad:

Akai SB1

Anyway, I got mine today. :bassist: This really is a cool pedal. All but two or three of the presets out of the box weren't really to my liking though. The sound quality of all of the presets is really good, but most of them are too cheesy. Good thing there are many controls to tweak. You can get some great sounds from every preset. Probably the worst thing about this unit is the small range you get with every control. There is enough range to change the sound a bit (enough to get rid of the cheese :D ), but not nearly as much as I would like. But, like I said, the sounds are really, really good.
    This will make a nice addition to my Korg G5 (A superior synth IMO). They both sound amazing, but the Korg has way more room to tweak and tracks way better. I'm very happy with the Akai, though it would be nice to have that extra $30. :spit: Oh well. :)

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would call them, I bet they will refund you the difference. I bought a PreSonus Digitube from Zzounds once, then sw the MF had it on sale for about 40$ less. I called Zzounds and they credited my card that day.

3. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Musiciansfriend has a 30 day price gurantee, if you find it cheaper anywhere they will refund the diffrence, even if its their own site.

4. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    :mad: :mad: :mad: F***

I bought mine from zzounds. I could have saved $20. And like one day after I ordered mine :bawl: .

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I experience way better tracking with the AKAI than with the G5. Fuller richer sound, too, with more lows.
    Now, the G5 was more versatile.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Read my post again man. You can still get the difference.

7. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Alright, I got the $30 back. :)

I've been playing with both the SB1 and G5 a lot, and I have to agree with you on some points Jazz Ad.
    About the tracking, I've made some adjustments and can track way better with the Akai now. It tracks about the same as my G5.
    As far as the sounds go, they both sound really good, but I think the Akai beats out the G5. A number of the sounds on the G5 sound a bit dry in comparison, while some of them sound just as full and wet as the Akai. Every sound on the Akai is full and lucious though. I'm really loving this pedal right now.
    The G5's biggest advantage is its versatility (and I'm sure the control pedal, though I haven't tried that yet). You can just do so much more with the G5.
    I think they compliment each other very well, and am happy as hell with both.

:EDIT: About the lows, some of the lows on the G5 are just as good as the Akai, but overall, I have to agree that the Akai has consistantly better lows throughout.

The Akai is an amazing deal at $150 IMO.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IME, the clarity/quality of your pups/preamp really influence the Akai Deep Impact.

I have lots of fun with mine at gigs. I can do the "Kraftwerk" space-thing as well as the subharmonic-thing of the Gap Band with mine.

Learning how to use those first two parameters skillfully, which influence every other parameter, was the most difficult aspect for me to learn.

I originally got mine so one of my bands could do No Doubt's "Hella Good." The Deep Impact nailed it as well as one could expect without a keyboard synth.

9. When I first got mine, I'd played around with it, and I'd already found sounds from songs by Barry Adamson and Sophie Ellis-Bextor, and after playing with it a bit more, I had a lot of Muse.

Just goes to show.

10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Just purchased a deep impact yesteday from MF. Should be here in the middle of next week. I am real interested to try it.

I owned a EHX BMS for a while, and while it had some cool tones, it was not user friendly (with the sliders) and it had serious tone suck.

I also owned a Line 6 FM4 for 1 day. Not many useful sounds (at least not enough to justify $250).

-KB

11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the deep impact is a super cool synth... I have had mine for over a year, and never had a glitch with it! easy to use, sounds great.... can't go wrong...

BTW, MF has a 45 day return and price match period....

P@