The 'Alien' Movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Wow, so good. Finally saw the first two last night.

I liked the first one OK- it's a good thriller- but was never as tension packed to me as the second one, which never seemed like it would end- and for the better! The marines are pinheads, the action is awesome, the aliens are gross but amazingly well designed, and Sigourney Weaver is a great female lead. Seriously, she doesn't need to be some bimbo (*COUGH* Aeon Flux movie *COUGH*), but she's not a butchy woMAN (no, they have Private Vasquez in the movie for that). She's just a charismatic leader.

On another note, I heard Alien 3 and Alien: Ressurection blow chunks.
  2. They do. Stay far FAR FAR FAR FAR away from them.

That said, maybe you were looking at Alien as an action movie and not for what it is. It's a slow driven sci-fi movie built around the dialoge.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Second one is my fav.
  4. No, I knew it wasn't going to be action-packed...but I dunno. It just took awhile to get "thrilling" for me, personally, in the beginning. But man, that facehugger...eeeeeeey! :bag:
  5. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The first two are the best. Alien 3 isn't awful, but it's not that good either. Resurrection is in the running for worst movie ever... stay away from that crapfest.
  6. The first Alien film isnt about being as up front as the second one, its all about the build up

Altho, i do prefer the outright firefighting in the second one, its just a really really good film, alien 3 isnt anywhere near as horrible as ressurection, however, it isnt anywhere near as good as the first 2

and yeah, my dad thought it would be funny to let me watch aliens when i was 6, that was nice of him :rolleyes:
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    aliens was my favorite movie for quite a long time when i was elementary school.

lol, when i got out of "true lies," my reaction was, "eh, it wasn't aliens." and everytime we went to blockbuster, i was sure to pick up aliens. :D

8. Stop yer grinnin and drop yer linen...

Yeah, the second one is great, the first one is stellar, and, tho there are some quirks, I thought the 3rd was kinda brilliant.

On #4, the premise was sound, but the wrong director was picked wasn't he the 3rd on board anyway? And the ending was abysmal...other than that, the rendering and organic "feel" of the aliens was pretty top notch. The hybrid baby was just plain stupid tho....and Ron Perlman was WASTED on that flick, as was the ill-advised casting of Winona as Call.

I loved the franchise up until that point....then along came AVP... holy crap, a whole nother thread for that one.

9. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Ridley Scott did only the first Alien, and it shows ... despite crude special effects, it was still the best of all. The second and so on Alien's let you see the whole creature, and that took away from the tension. I think the last two were produced by Sigourny Weaver ... she considered this her signature role.
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The third movie is actually okay IF YOU WATCH THE DIRECTOR'S CUT. I have the Alien Quadrilogy set, and if you watch the original director's cut, it's a whole different movie than the theatrical release. Both versions are on the DVD, so you can plainly see all the stuff that was taken out/changed, and it's really much better in the non-theatrical version.

I love the first two- Aliens is probably my favorite. I remember being a little kid and my family was going to the movies together. I had the choice to see either Aliens (and I was about eight at the time, so it was a big deal), or Karate Kid part II. I picked KKII, and now I wish I saw Aliens, just to have that memory of being eight years old and seeing such a scary, awesome movie on the big screen.
  11. The first one is best in just about every way. Better plot, better acting, better directing, better tension, better everything!!

What I love about Alien is the story about the chest buster. How Ridley didn't tell the other actors what was going to happen. That's why their reactions are so great. It's a TRUE reaction. They weren't expecting it, so they reacted like normal people. I bet Mr. Scott was laughing his a$$ off thinking it was a great practical joke.:D

Number 2 was okay. A good shoot-em-up, explosions and creepy aliens movie. #3 would have been a lot better if Scott had directed it. #4 just plain sucked, and AVP, well, it was better than 3 or 4, but didn't rise to the level of 1 or 2.

Rock on
  12. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I forgot about AVP. Well I went to AVP expecting Freddy vs. Jason ... script from marketing dempographics, and beautiful nobodies in the lead (nothing wrong with that ... just a typical summer movie) and the usual ... 'I'll be right back' lines (burp!)

I wasn't disappointed ... It's not high art, but fun for the moment. Doom was more of the same, but I was really curious how they were going to turn a video game (with no story line at all) into a coherent movie. Not too shabby ... I like the part where the protagonist wakes up a Mr. First Person Shooter
  13. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario

Aw man, it goes from classic sci-fi (look at the crazy thing we found) to classic horror (looks like we're all screwed) to classic buddy film (she's a petite black woman who grew up in the arctic, he's a giant hunter from outerspace who'll kill anything that gets in his way, they're the original odd couple!). And then there's the predalien thing at the end. Do I hear a sequel in the works?

I figure the reason the first movie was so good was because of the shoestring budget, not in spite of it. If you can't afford to actually build the aliens, then you can't show them on screen. This forces the director to come up with other ways of maintaining the suspense, like just showing a bit of the alien, or even having well developed characters (shocking, I know). Not knowing what the bad guys look like is a sure fire way to get people on the edges of their seats, and actually having a story can't hurt either. Personally I figure modern special effects are killing the thriller genre since it's getting so easy for one guy at a computer to do in a few weeks what a whole crew of really clever people used to spend months working on.

PS: Really, I liked AVP. So long as you don't expect too much it's great fun. Of course, there were one or two plot holes, like how does an android get lung cancer anyway?
  14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i thought it was funny when my english teacher during my senior year of high school brought up "alien" when we were talking about beowulf, in particular, the monster grendel.

also reminds me how she totally cut me off when i was making a comparison to iago in othello to revolver ocelot in metal gear solid 2. :rollno: :D
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    He wasn't an android- that was the original human who developed the technology the Bishop androids were made from.

I was really damned disappointed with AVP. The PG-13 rating was a sure sign of its impending doom.
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, they KNEW what was going to happen, they just didn't really know the extent of how it was going to go down or what it would look like. I mean, considering the rig they had to set up to get the actor into position with the fake body and false table, I mean it's not like he just lied down and crap just started coming out of his body. They gratuitous blood spewing on people's faces was the surprise!

The first movie is better than good, it's brilliant! Probably one of my favorite movies of all time.

The reason the first and the second go so well together is that they take different paths in order not to rehash anything. The first one was a horror movie, and it was excellent. Rather than rehash the same TYPE of film, they made the second one an action movie. When the third one came along and it tried to be more psychological and a mix of the first two, it just seemed like "I've been here before..."

PS: H.R. Geiger has to be one of the most messed-up individuals on the face of the planet. I got a book of his artwork from the library and it gave me nightmares. :eek:
  17. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    There used to be a 6 ft. Alien statue thingy in my hometown Sharper Image. Needless to say, I crapped my pants every time I saw it when I was a kid. Never seen the movies though...
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yeah, the 1st one is much better than today's attention defict society gives it credit for.

You want minimal action? What the first version of: "The Thing". With James Arness, THE BLACK & WHITE ONE!
  19. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

you want minimal action? you want the hamiltonian principle.

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The first one is the best one, II and III are cool, too, although III gets my favour over II.

I scared myself ****less when they open the locker and the cat starts hissing.