1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The allure of a Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Valiant Bandit, Dec 11, 2011.

1. I don't quite know what it is with Fenders but I have ALWAYS wanted one since I was a little kid. My wife told me that she would go "halves" with me on buying another bass, but I don't want her to have to contribute more than $100.

Anyways there's a really nice Fender Jazz on fleabay right now with nice pickups that needs wiring work. (Wiring=my specialty.) It's around $140.00 with 3 hours left give or take.

There's a fully functional SX Jazz on eBay that ends on the 13th that's around $40.

What should be my max spending limit on a MIM Fender that's going to need wiring work? I was thinking $200 TOPPS.

(Btw I'm a lefty so don't even say just wait for another one...They don't come along often. lol) I mentioned the SX because it just seems like the "Cheap, rational option." but I really, really want a Fender.

2. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    If you can do the work, jump on it! I love my MIMs and am completely comfortable doing repair and set up, so I can buy them with indifference if the price is right. In my neighborhood, you can score sub $300 MIMs on craigslist with fair frequency, so I think $200 would be a reasonable ceiling for one needing work like you describe. Lefties, not so often. Don't left-handed people only amount to about 9% of the population?

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If it's really clean, pickups and wiring are very easy - I'd go up to $250 for a lefty and still feel good about it.

But the auction doesn't really start until the last 30 seconds. Be sitting there and bid with about 20 seconds left.

4. +1

And skip the SX. If you're jonesin' for a Fender, buy a Fender, not a clone.

EDIT: I just took a peek (don't worry, I'm not left handed and I already have a few Jazz basses, so you're safe). It has EMG's in it. If you can wire this thing back together, that would be awesome. It looks like the control knobs are missing. I hope the bad news ends there.

5. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    Great advice. :smug:

6. yeah get the real deal. It's worth it. Bass central and the perfect bass have a lot of lefties I think.

7. Ahaha I know right! I HATE THAT!!!! Plus I gotta figure in $30 for shipping too ugh...

That's what I'm scared of. You saw that the guy said the screws are rusted, etc... I mean I plan to take apart whatever bass I get anyway. I can score real Fender P/Us & pots cheap on eBay anyways.

The necks on Fenders are thinner than their knock-offs, correct?

8. I wouldn't worry too much about a little rust. If the guitar was gigged, someone surely sweat on it, and that's nothing that can't be corrected. I just bought a used Telecaster that was all rusted and corroded from player sweat and skin acid, and it's so cool, I'm just going to leave it that way.

Knobs are cheap as well.

My experience with Fender clones is they try to emulate the neck profile and nut width of the typical Fender, and get it pretty close. But most Fender necks are pretty sweet, if that's your thing, and I can usually feel a difference with the cheaper clone necks, either in terms of dimensions or the thick poly they sometimes coat them with.

You sound like you're pretty confident in your DIY skills, that Fender would be a great score for $200.00-$250.00 plus shipping. And don't switch out those EMG's immediately. Lots of players really like them. I'd play them for awhile before making a decision.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    +1 You're right, you won't find many left handed MIM's around and if it's a winner other than just the wiring $200 to a top of $250 should get there. You're talking about a bass the sells for $550 to $600 new.

10. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Saw a nice P on LVs craigslist but forgot you're a lefty.

11. Thanks so much for the info. You actually hit the nail on the head with what I was wondering. For my next bass I really need a thinner, smoother neck. My SX's neck needs to be stripped of that awful yellow tinting. Well I'm thinking of the worst case scenario that there's something wrong internally with the EMG pickups. Best case scenario would be a loose wire that just needs soldering. Confident in my DIY skills? Lol I made a living on fixing old Jaguars before fibromyalgia got the best of me and my drumming skills. Now I just take it easy and play bass and do easy work such as wiring. If I can re-wire/fix an electrical problem on a Jaguar.

12. Won it for $193.01 !!! :D

I'll keep you guys posted about what's up with it!

13. Congrats. Keeping my fingers crossed that she's a good one and you can make her sparkle with a little elbow grease.

Do let us know what you get and your progress with the rehab.

14. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    yeah, but only because we could not let the coolest percentage of the population get into the double digits.

15. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    Hey, if you get into the control cavity and find incorrect (not 25k) or missing pots PM me and I'll see what I have in my box 'o goodies for you. I think I have some unused, original wired EMG pot/jack/battery sets from some pickups that I never used because I always installed a pre system of some sort.

16. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    awesome! i love cool ebay scores.
    @bone: is your avatar a cartoon jeff berlin?

17. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Right on, brother! Welcome to the family!

I have a MIM P that zZounds mistakenly sent me 11 or 12 years ago. About 18 months later they called me up, wanting to know how I was going to pay for it. I informed her that that was mail fraud. She put me on hold for 10 seconds, came back and said, "Alright sir, we'll take care of that for you. You have a nice day." I changed the bridge. Otherwise it's stock. Plays and sounds very nice.

PrecisionSpecialDeluxe_a.

18. Subscribed!
    Nice score, I hope it turns out great for ya, man!

19. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada

i know what you're saying but ....a real Fender is an American!