1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The amazing Markbass 121P combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Jan 1, 2012.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There are (in my opinion) certain pieces of gear that just seem to be exceptional in their class. For me, the Markbass 121P combo is just that. More than the sum of its parts.

Last night my New Years gig was at an upscale resort in a very nice Grill room attached to the Golf center. I was told it was a classy, conservative, somewhat quiet gig. I bring the 121P combo.
    From the first note, the much hipper than expected crowd had us slammin. Piano, Bass, Drums, Guitar, and four singers. The gig ended up being much bigger and louder than I ever expected. I should have brought a bigger rig. BUT!!!!

I put the 121P combo right against the wooden wall, with the rear ports as close to the wall as I could get them. I usually carry a Boss eq pedal in my bag, so I put it up and made a somewhat smiley face eq shape. It killed!..... I not only had enough volume, but the tone was GOOD! I still can't believe how well the 121P performed. It saved my butt. I continue to be amazed by this piece of gear. Thanks Markbass.

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Nice!
    Dude, my results are along the same lines.
    A couple years back I played a gig that the rest of my band had played several times.
    It was indoors in a large auditorium. Concrete floor, wood walls, and about 100'x300'.
    I had only my LMII and my Traveler 210P. Our band had a huge PA, so I wasn't sweating it, but.... I never needed it! That single 210 easily covered the entire room. And the volume was at around 9 o'clock. Head was warm, but not hot.
    And the best part, and I'm sure you agree...in and out in one trip.
    Glad to hear you're lovin' it.

3. I have one, and I used it on my nye gig last night. It's without a doubt the single best gear purchase that I've ever made. My brand new ampeg pf500 and 115 can't hold this combo's jock strap ;)

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I have the 121H combo and have played gigs you,d never expect a 112 and 300w to be able to handle. The bigger cab on mine makes a considerable difference in bass response.

But, my main rig is my LMIII head with a Traveler 151P cab. Used it last night in a large room with a fairly loud band. That rig REALLY rocks!

I'd like to have a 121P combo, too, for smaller gigs.

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

AGREE 120%. The CMD 121P just amazes me every time I use it. And - it even has worked outdoors for me before I got an extension cab. The matching cab was not available at the time, but I found the Schroeder 1212L - barely larger than the 121P with TWO more high-output 12s for a 3 x 12 tower with a HUGE sound.

I hope that you are not putting the cab directly against the wall - this will stifle the port output - I would think 6-12" is about right. However, putting the amp in a corner is even better - the 2 walls make a giant 90 degree horn and allows this tiny amp to shake even a large room. I have played for 2-300 people with just the amp alone this way with people coming up and asking where my bass "stack" is !

Definitely a BEST BUY and the amp AND speaker easily fit in the trunk of my car with room for stands, etc.

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I owned the 121P and 151P combos. The 121P is pretty cool but I preferred the 151P for its additional depth and oomph. Much later I came to wish that I had owned the 121H. I believe its size and superior horn (to the piezo tweeter) would have been the ideal sweet spot.

7. I have this experience with my CMD151P all the time.

Glad to hear you 121P users are having it too. It never ceases to amaze me. I only use an extension cab outdoors with no PA and on large theater stages.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I gassed for a 121P before they were available in the states. I bought one the very day I found out they were selling them at GC. It's like a Polytone on steroids.

9. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Actually the box was about 3 inches off the wall. I've used the combo anywhere from 3 inches to 3 feet away from walls. I'm thinking 3 to 6 inches feels pretty good for the coupling effect.

I get that the 151P and the 121H might have more lows and volume on there own. For me, this combo is all about size and weight. If you take the amp and wood around it away, the actual speaker box is about as big as a GK150 mb. That's even more amazing. The 121P kills the GK in most ways, and only weighs about 2 lbs more. Also using a little stomp box eq lets you shape the overall sound for the bass and room even more.

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have the 210 combo but I still would like to get one of these for those smaller gigs and rehearsals. I went and tried one again the other day at GC. I need to bring my 6 string with me to make sure it can handle the low B.

11. Yes, it's my secret weapon, too. And if I need more air moving, I just take in a 2x10 neo cab. If more power, DI straight to PA. Very flexible rig. I use a Zoom b2 for all kinds of wacko effects if those are needed, too.

12. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The 121P does just fine with a B string. It also works better than most as a doubling amp.

13. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I didn't like the piezo tweeter in mine so got a LMII head and 2 Thundertots (112) and I can play pretty much anywhere, though I haven't tried an outside gig but if I have a PA I don't see a problem......

14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I wasn't much a fan of the tweeter either, but the CMD 121P is definitely a unique amp. On its own its increadibly loud, although I find the tone somewhat thin unless you are going for a growly clear sound(of course if its up against a wall you get the coupling effect and it will sound significantly fuller). A very cool combo for sure! Kind of wish I still had one for my fretless...

15. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There are always compromises with gear. A single 12 in a very tiny box is not going to sound like a 15 and a horn. However...

One of the best ways to make the stock combo better is to replace the stock 18 gauge power cable with a 14 gauge power cable. It really makes an audible difference. Also, replace the cheap speaker wire and ten cent quarter inch connector going from the speaker to the amp with a heavier gauge speaker wire and use a speakon to the amp.
    Much of the time I also use a little Boss eq pedal which also takes the tone shaping to another level. And again...
    Its a 29lb, 300 watt combo amp, not an SVT! It has its limitations. (though not many)

16. For practice and smaller gigs the 12" works just fine, for gigs where more air has to move just add another cabinet for full 550W output. Add PA support and you get even more output. I would not expect anyone to think that a single 12" would sound huge and deep. But for practical reasons it works fine.

17. yamark

yamark

Jun 6, 2009
    Lancaster, KY
    Love my CMD212p as well. I will be in the extension cab market pretty soon. Not that I've needed one yet. Other than the NY121, anyone have luck with other extension cabs?

18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The NY121 is the same box as the 121P combo.
    Guys have mentioned using a Markbass 121H box with the combo. It has a bit more lows being a bit wider and deeper.