the american/english accent thing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 6, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive been very curious about this for some time. it seems like some people in the US, if not most people, are turned on or enjoy the accent of someone from ireland or the UK. i myself think the accents are real swell. mostly just the slang really, anyway. what ive been wanting to know is, is it the same way over there? when an american comes over and starts chatting up people are they (women mostly, as it seems women like it here) very excited about our accents? :confused:

i just got to know. thanks :smug:
  2. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Actually, I find american accents horribly irritating. Although alot of it comes from Americans not using the right tense.

ie: DID you want a drink? instead of DO you want a drink?

Nothing against americans, but i, and many of my friends find the accents annoying.
  3. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    no... we hear the accent and assume you're Canadian :)

:D just kidding

you have to remember that because the USA produces so much in the way of entertainment, an American accent is very very familiar to everyone over here... so an American accent doesn't surprise us... the only thing that surprises us is that you actually came over here to visit in the first place :)

but I think it depends on who you talk to... right at this point in time i've noticed there's a bit of a groundswell of anti-Americanism in the UK... a certain percentage of people over here aren't impressed by some of the recent actions of your government, and translate that into a kind of lazy casual racism towards Americans in general... mind you, we've heard enough 'bad food and bad teeth' comments to know lazy stereotypes cut both ways

so... some people aren't impressed by an American accent, some people will be interested because you're someone different to talk to, and others (like me) don't think anything either way... I work for a company based in Dalton Georgia, so I'm talking to people from the USA every day of the week... I don't even think about accents any more
  4. I don't find Irish or English accents turn me on at all. Maybe in some movies, but that's it.

Especially slang from Ireland/England. Can't figure out a damn thing they just tried to say. :D
  5. Do you like dags?

Yeah Dags!

Oh dogs! Yeah I like dogs, I like caravans even more though.

*back to the real world now... I am used to it now, being at university we pretty much have students from all over the world so it isn't really surprising or special to hear any accents really. Although I never have and probably never will understand a word of Geordie.
  6. Depends on what regional accent, I guess.

I like the "proper" (for lack of better word) accents - it makes a lady more attractive, IMO. But if I saw some pretty lady who sounded like Ozzy Osbourne, that would turn me off like a lightswitch.

Irish I can take or leave, really.

Last summer my family hosted four english teenagers at my house for two weeks and their accents differed from very clear to downright unintelligible.
  7. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Yup I think alot of people here tend to find the American accents a little irritating nothing against Americans either but thats my experience.

For the record anything you see in a film about Ireland tends to be a gross exaggeration of what it really is like here. The "Irish" accents used in films don't really exist they might be slightly similar to a Cork accent (place at the very bottom left of Ireland) but even so it's still not even close.

In fact the only guy ever to speak with a proper Irish accent on American TV was Colm Meaney who played Chief O' Brian on Star Trek.

There isn't even a single Irish accent as a whole it varies from county to county. Which is probably a bit wierd that such a geographically small country has such a variety of accents.

Anyways I'll stop my little Irish rant know.

[Insert typical accent]
    Oh be gorra of to da pub for a wee pint o guinness ohhh Toora Loora.
  8. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    As a American I can find a lot of our accents irritating and sometimes hard to understand, but no more then any other accent. It really comes down to what is being said ;) . Our films over exaggerate most US accents as well. What you get most of the time is New york, texas and LA.

It’s funny, for the most part we don’t hear the accent we have in less we hear a recording of our selves. Every time I hear myself played back it’s always a little startling; I really have a heavy San Francisco Bay area drawl :meh:
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think you have to consider that there are too many different lexicons and accents in the US to pigeonhole it to one accent.

As a Southerner, I have never said the word, "brah". A slang for brother that surfers use. When I went to California I heard it every five seconds. Southerners say coke, noutherners say pop or soda. Etc.

I also never heard someone from California say, "ight". A shortened form of alright. Either in a redneck way or a bling bling rapper sort of way.

Since I've lived in the South I have picked up a noticable Southern drawl.

I have a chemistry professor that is Chinese or Japanese and rolls all of his R's and L's. He can be very hard to understand occasionally. I would say either that accent or Indian accents are the hardest for me to understand.
  10. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Personally I find most accents ok to understand. From watching television and what not I'd be familiar with alot of american and english slang. Usually it can be understod from the context as well.

It's true though. The first time I heard myself recorded a few years after I moved to the area I'm living in now I was suprised how much I'd taken the local accent up. When I hear the accent of people speaking from where I was born in the midlands now it doesn't seem very appealing at all. But when I lived there it seemed normal.
  11. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thats a real bummer about teh anit-american stuff. however, i dont think you could really blame them as of late. let it be said, im proud but im not that proud, if you follow me. anyway, i was thinking of touring the UK and ireland, but id really rather not meet any hostility. im all in it for a good time and to meet people. hopefully meet some of the european TB'ers while im at it. and maybe a few nice women. i stayed with some girls from Scotland and i fell in love with one of them. ehrm... anyway just thought id ask. however, im suprised to hear that Irish accents dont vary that much. i was under the impression they did. ah well, guess i will just have to come over and see. anyone feel like putting up one of their american bass player friends from TB for a night? :D
  12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Red headed Irish or Scot lasses give me moisture.
  13. Pile drivingly heavy moisture?
  14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't mind the english accent. It's just when it's a really thick one that it's like nails on a chalk board to me. I love australian and irish accents (plus +1 on redheaded irish girls ;)) Sometimes I think I have it worse when it comes to people complaining about me having an american accent. Because not only is it american, but I can have a bit of a massachusetts accent too.

It was wicked hahd for me to find a pahking space for my cahr, but when I finally did it was a wicked pissa. (I don't really talk like that) :)
  15. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Does Bono have a traditional Irish accent? If so, that's what I call irritating.

But then again, I also find New York City/New Jersey/eastern PA accents to be some of the most disgusting sounds I can think of.
  16. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hm, I don't care much for accents unless well, you can't understand them. And as for slang, you English people probably get a kick outta my username...

Come to think of it, I realized I must have a pretty bad accent when I speak Mandarin...hmm...

The problem is when after you watch a few English movies, then you start talkin with the accent a little...-.-
  17. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I disagree.I rarely hear a Texan accent on a movie. However I do frequently hear a horrifying impression of what someone in LA or New York THINKS Texans sound like.
  18. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    The Irish accent does vary alot you could travel maybe 100 kilometers (even less) and find that the people will speak with a different accent. You will find that in England to alot of variation in accent there as well.

You should definetley do the tour you shouldn't find any hostility among the Irish or the English just because your American or have the accent or whatever. People aren't going to blame you for the war if you come over or anything like that.

Bono has a funny accent. Its a dublin accent but I guess that it's been influenced a bit by american and other accents since he would travel around aot. You'll find the Dublin accent is generally alot stronger and a bit different than what Bono speaks with.

There's even two kinds of accents in Dublin alone. Sort of upper and lower class accents. Probably not the best way to put it but there's definetley two of them. (Dublin being the Irish capital for those not in the know)

Funny thing as well Irish and English people generally consider redheads ugly. Where as foreigners seem to find them attractive. I was talking to a friend of mine from the Dominican Republic about who was the hottest from the show Desperate House wives. He recond it was the red head who I find a bit on the ugly side where as I much prefered the girl who plays Gabrielle(oh yeah latin babes!!!). He of course disagreed. I suppose that its what your not used to you tend to find exotic (and I mean exotic *not* erotic) and therefore find attractive.
  19. ROLF!

I know wha'cha mean

Quit a few years back I was noticing how messed up our New England accents where so I started trying to correct myself by making sure I put the R's where there should be R's. I must have been over doing it a tad, my friends picked up on it.

Auto paRts?? Do you mean auto pots? Noooo, paRRts... I almost hada hot attack. :D

Well I though I had it all figured out, that was until I went down to North Carolina to visit an old friend. We went out to see some bands so hit the clubs, I went up to the bar, turned to my friends to asked them what they wanted.

This what it sounded like: What'cha guys want?? :rolleyes:

A few heads kind of turned my way as to say, y'all an't from round hear, are ya.

You can take the boy out of New England but you can't take New England out of the boy.

Oh yhea, I never say pissa or wicked either. Don't know where that came from.
  20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    north dekoter accents are funny. :bassist: