Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The American P DLX arrived...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Mar 14, 2004.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I bought for 600 Euros on Ebay a Fender P DLX V.

I have it here for a couple of weeks and tried alone and with the band so i can now comment on how the bass is.

First, i recieved the bass in like new condition, made a setup according to my usual standards and started playing.

the big fender (soon nicknamed BIG MAMA) for big aspect and big sound is a bass with a fender trademark feel and sound with added modernity which can be both good and bad. body is a sunburst with brown shell pickguard over an alder body (fender claims that wood to be Selected alder) which is a little lighter than the alder used on my MIA P bass. Neck is the classic one piece alder, same for fingerboard.

great building quality and great attention to detail, great string balance and for sure big tone. when played with flat onboard EQ the bass is really nice and not so fenderish. with too much treble. i found my perfect eq boosting a little bit basses and mids and cutting highs, this way it has a more fendersih tone. strings are the stock fender with tapered B and E, loaded thru bridge.

when both PU are engaged sound is big full and with lot of headroom. very usable sound. using the split P style alone sound becomes more boomy and bassy, this way i cut the basses a little bit too. classic P sound is not the same but it's there with an accetable feel. from the bridge humbucker i can have a more growly tone that enhances the mids. great for singerstyle. i am not a slapper so i can't comment, but i can say that the bass for me works great both fingerstyle and with pick. sounds great alone and cuts in the mix with the band.

overall each sounds that come from the pickups balance is as usual for Fender instruments very usable.

only mod i plan to make is this. since i love how passive basses sound their own, i'll add a small passive active switch.

If you have questions and comments i'll be glad to answer.

thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    pics?

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you are right, Godin man.

please find some pics of the bass attacched. pics of the ebay auction.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    here's a full one.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I am in awe! :bawl: :ninja:

~Patrick

6. Awsome bass! :cool:

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wierd. An alder neck and board??

8. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i believe he meant maple... :bassist:

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yeah, it's maple. Sometimes the grains can look similar.

10. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Very Nice :)

11. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    It is a very pretty bass. All the Fender bashing that goes on here (and I am guilty of it too) is mostly aimed at their lower end stuff- the deluxe and above stuff is pretty nice.

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, i was just kidding. My smilies weren't working.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    my mistake boy.

i am not that great with english, really.

as correctly stated neck is maple, same for fingerboard. body is alder.

classic fender woods.

thanks for reading and for the correction.

;)

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Geez, lookit all 'does knobz!

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    knobs are: overall volume, pickups balance, 3 band onboard EQ (bass mids and highs)

16. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Mmmm, one of my dream basses.

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I need one to go with my 4-string Jazz deluxe rosewood. That would be lovely!

18. So nice!

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Marco, is that the 9 or 18 volt preamp?

Ive got an 18 volt 2002 MIA P Dlx fiver, looks similar to yours but I've got the rosewood board.

Edit: I was trying to attach a pic of mine, but either it's too large or I'm too stupid. Just picture yours with a rosewood board.

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Mike, mine is a 2002 model. Year is stamped both on the neck and body. When i bought the bass i took away neck from body to make a correct setup and found the date stamped.

Mine features the 18 volts preamp.

So i guess we have some sort of twin basses.

Can you post here some comments on yours?

thanks for sharing

Marco