1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Americana/Alt Country Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowplaces, Sep 19, 2017.

1. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Americana is a hot genre right now and has been for some time.
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7541981/americana-growing-influence-sales-chart-milestone

So I thought I'd start the thread for the discussion of the genre.

Anything goes. Discuss Americana/Alt Country artists, post clips of your own band, etc.

But what is Americana/Alt Country ?

Wiki says..
    Americana (music) - Wikipedia

The Boot has some comments by the artist themselves...
    http://theboot.com/what-is-americana-music-genre-definition/

From No Depression..
    How do you define Americana music?

Here are a couple more Links of Interest..
    Americana Music Publishing Inc - homepage

http://www.americanaradio.org/ama/displaychart_beforetracks.asp?mode=lw&dtkey=

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/04/15-artists-proving-black-americana-is-real.html

repoman likes this.
  2. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    sevenyearsdown likes this.
  3. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    My gotos for Americana are Tom Petty, Wilco, and My Morning Jacket.

Speterc, jalapejoe and lowplaces like this.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I like most of what gets labeled Americana and that's really the stuff I play...country, blues, bluegrass, cajun/zydeco.

I just hate the term. It's a catchall for anything from traditional folk music to pop (Lake Street Dive, for example) that is out of the mainstream. It's not a real style. At least the label alt-country has a narrower focus.

I once played at a very prestigious folk music venue and the clueless band leader told the audience we played Americana. Most of the audience knew more about what we were playing than the BL did :banghead:

GregC and lowplaces like this.
  5. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    I guess I've been playing that for 30 years now - Traditional Irish mixed with non-traditional, non-Irish stuff. I like to call it more American Roots music (as in all of the roots of American music). A good example from the Irish side would be Eileen Ivers or Solas

47th Street and lowplaces like this.
  6. wish i was

wish i was

Oct 24, 2014
    Eagle, MI
    I started with Steve Earle, then Chris Knight, then Cody Canada, and then I fell into Robert Earl Keen.

It is too bad I back a hot singer babe. It's not likely I'll be able to sell her on too many of these guys' songs...

7. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    A co-worker asked me a couple weeks ago what type of music I like to play and I told him as far as originals I like Americana. He asked me what that meant, and I told him the term Americana pretty much separates commercial material from non-commercial material.

It's kind of like a veil in my opinion. Old-school honky-tonk country like George Jones, I could put into the Americana category. Kenny Chesney, not so much. I do like a couple of his songs though.

Freakwater, one of the pioneers of the no depression/alt-country scene put an album out not long ago after a six-year hiatus. I can't remember if it was Janet or Catherine, but in an interview after the new album was released she said she doesn't really like the term alt-country and prefers Outlaw country.

It's a grey area.

47th Street, DukeCC and GregC like this.
  8. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    You bring up a good point. Lot of the old Appalachian Mountain ballads and even fiddle styles are versions of songs and tunes that were brought to America from the British Isles. A song like Barbara Allen for example; you could hear it sung on the front porch up in the hollow somewhere and then hear a different version the next hollow over.

Song catchers would go up into the hills and collect those songs and the different versions.

You and others probably already know all that but just offering it and case anyone curious doesn't know.

47th Street likes this.
  9. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Does she like soul ? Perhaps you could get her to do a version of Mary Gauthier's Mercy Now.

Here is her version

And Mike Farris covering it

There's a treat at the end of the Farris version.

47th Street likes this.
  10. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Count me in. I play in an alt country band. After years of playing classic rock and blues I finally found my niche. I pretty much only listen to outlaw/redneck country (Channel 60) on Sirius XM when traveling anywhere.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  11. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I'm in!

Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, Gordon Lightfoot, Gram Parsons, Billy Joe Shaver, Steve Earl, Rodney Crowell, Nebraska by The Boss, Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown, Drive By Truckers, John Prine, Son Volt, Bearfoot Jerry, James McMurtry, Jason Isbell and Daniel Romano

I'm also in an alt country band called Live Well (like in a boat).

12. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    @wish i was and @10cc have the right idea. In my area we can't forget Joe Ely and guys like Doug Sahm amd such. Plenty of new talent too. It's a loose and broad genre but my fav. I'll contribute more tomorrow.

13. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    I like all of it. Got my Gram Parsons on, tonight.
    I'll add Old Crow Medicine Show and Gene Clark.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    47th Street, 10cc and lowplaces like this.
  14. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    Someplace I still have a copy of Uncle Tupelo's last show at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis. I should dig that up, sometime.

10cc, GregC and lowplaces like this.
  15. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    I have found my TalkBass people.

juancaminos, Dan55, xoloder and 10 others like this.
  16. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I

What is the average age of your audiences ? The shows I've been to around here run from early twenties to older folks.

Hard to guess but I would say a early twenties to mid-thirties would be the majority locally.

17. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I knew there had to be a few here:laugh:

Ekulati, xoloder, 10cc and 1 other person like this.
  18. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I'll never forget the night I stopped at a tavern in the "Bar District" here in town after work back in the 90s and the bartender turned me on to Uncle Tupelo. Jay Farrar gets credit for me picking up the acoustic I kept around the house and start playing again. His lyrics just did it for me and it wasn't long I started writing my own stuff.

I like Tweety but it was Farrar that did it for me. Got most of the early Son Volt albums.

PWRL, 10cc and leegreenman like this.
  19. I'm a big fan of a lot of stuff that falls under this umbrella.
    Drive By Truckers are one of my favorites. I've seen them more than 10 times over the years, and they never disappoint.
    Scud Mountain Boys are a great, but under appreciated, alt county group.
    Here's a link to a vaguely Americana project I was involved in a few years back.
    The Goodbye Radio, by The Goodbye Radio
    We had zero success, but I think it's pretty good.

47th Street, bassbully, 10cc and 3 others like this.
  20. wesonbass, xoloder, Speterc and 4 others like this.