Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the amp fool

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Kaftan King, Apr 27, 2004.

1. time to admit my ignorance. i know very little about amps, ie what to look for. the sound im after is a realy boomy bass end, but not too soggy, i like a bit of fret noise in there, some soft punchy mids, and twanngy highs for slap and tap. any got some sudgestions?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What to look for is an amp that puts out a sound you like!!!

My suggestion is to go to music stores and try every amp in your price range and see what YOU think FIRST.

3. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    There's no way you're a fool. But I'd advise similarly. Go to your local shop and just tell them you want to try some bass amps. Don't ask for any advice other than, "How do I get this thing running?"

Don't get opinions from anyone, they are many! It will alter your perception. Just play (or let someone play) and listen. Don't talk about the quality of the sound. What sounds good to YOU is the ultimate amp.

4. cheers guys. funny how the most obvious solution never occurs to you. mind you, i supose i should save enough money for my wal before i start looking at amps. lol, does the shopping list ever end??

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    'fraid not :smug: G.A.S. is like a bad weed, you think you kill it, then one day...BAM there it is again :D