1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Amp In The Car Trunk Thread!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Jun 2, 2007.

1. I'm sure this has come up before, but I'm polling you good TalkBassers again because I just bought a new used car (1996 Chevy Cavalier) and there's a big problem: my favorite SWR Workingmans' 15 will not fit in the trunk, no way, no how. My older Fender Bassman 100 will fit, but it is nothing like that old SWR which has been "my sound" for almost 10 years.

Tonight I'm absorbing the pain and putting the amp in the back seat...which means I have to load it out of the car and into the house at 2:30 am tomorrow :oops: :mad:

So, two questions for duscussion:

(0) What amps might be worth looking into for the car I've described; and

(1) How do you measure a trunk for a bass amp so next time you won't be 3/4" off like I was?

Feel free to subsitute your own sad stories for mine!

2. i'll sell ya a truck for $500...lol but you gotta come get it, I aint driving that far.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Cabinets with 12" speakers are a good bet. My G-K Neo112 fits easily in my trunk (Saab 9-5, big trunk), and the Aguilar GS112 is even shorter IIRC. Some 2x10"s might fit more easily, but if you like your 15" you're probably better off with a 12" (or two).

Obviously the height of the trunk is a key dimension. A cabinet that's 18" high won't fit in a 16" high trunk. But you also have to worry about the size of the trunk opening, because sometimes an item that will fit into the trunk's volume is difficult or impossible to get in there. Don't know how you measure that though.

If you like your tone enough, just use the back seat and move the cab. I haven't liked carrying my 89 lb. 4x10" into the house after driving back to Philly from a late set in N.Y.C., but I manage.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

texas-chainsaw.jpg

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    When auditioning a car, bring the amp. I bring my upright bass. And as I was leaving the Toyota dealership with my newest car, I saw a lady walking in with a string bass.

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    ...a good drummer friend was going to buy a VW Golf GTI so he took his entire drum set to the dealership. No fitty no buyey.

7. Ive been meaning to start a thread similar to this question. Does anyone use a small trailer type thing to haul their stuff? Psh, I think i could put a hitch on a midsize sedan and have enough power to haul it. As long as my brakes are good. Does anyone have such experience? The more i think about the more plausible it seems. It wouldnt be much diferent than towing a small aluminum fishing boat

8. I kept the box of my Ampeg 8x10, just fix it to fit in my closet without wasting a lot of space, that way I can take it with me to see if it will fit in X or Y car.

9. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Another option is to get one of those deals they have for transporting like those hoverrounds. The only problem with the towing of a small trailer deal is the weight of the trailer if it's a closed trailer.... or the fact it'd be open to the elements if it's open....

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021