1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The amp isn't my dad's: AMPEG CONTENT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Man first Dillion now Jamerson.

2. does anyone have a link to the episode of history detectives mentioned?

3. You can watch it on there website.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well Jamerson Jr. and Allan are right that Jamerson's most often pictured with an original B-15 and not the B-15N seen on that show. But is it that big a stretch to think he might have bought another one when he went to LA instead of taking his original B-15 with him?

BTW, did a gig a couple years ago with Allan Slutsky...he is an awesome guitar player.

5. Well here is a dumb question. Since this was the studio amp in L.A could it have belong to the studio. Issued to Jamerson and spray painted with his name for the moving from studio to studio? I mean they did say the moving company took this from storage to studio every day! They said nothing about him transporting it!

I mean do you really think he brought his amp from home every day? Sooner or later you would think he would just leave it there instead of the back and forth. That would explain why his son remembers the one at home?

I say there where 2 B15 amps.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not belong to the studio, but maybe stored by the cartage company for him. Dennis Coffey said they did it for him and stenciled his name on it to keep track.

7. Well a amp cant be in storage and at home making memoreys with his son at the same time.LOL

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Consider this scenario. The amp was owned and maintained by a company that reserved it exclusively for Jamerson and provided the cartage. He worked every day and needed a reliable amp, delivered to studios around town as per his schedule. It could very well be that he used this amp on his sessions, he just didn't own it.

There was a local organ service company that did precisely this. A TV show that aired nightly had a band that used a Hammond B3 organ. The company was paid to deliver and set up the organ each day for the show, then collect it afterwards. Each day they checked it over and ensured that it was working properly. The show paid for the cartage and rental. As you can imagine, it was a great gig for the organ service company. For tax reasons or perhaps government grant reasons, the show preferred to rent

The only problem with this Jamerson scanerio is that one would think that there would be records at Royal Cartage in LA (the name on Coffey's amp) that would have proved this to be the case. I wonder why the show didn't dig deeper into the records once they had the name of the cartage company.

9. That makes sense and goes along with what i am thinking!

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    The plot thickens! :ninja:

11. vegedge

vegedge

Jul 14, 2012
    first dylan?

did a bob dylan amp pop up somewhere?

12. No but his strat did. And now he is saying history detectives is wrong and he still has it.

13. When fact is fiction and TV reality..

Reality TV is an oxymoron. Everything is sensationalized for ratings.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

The first thing you have to remember is, this is TV. It's a show, even more invovled than the show that most of us a musicians put on, try to put on, think we're putting on, etc.

It's designed to grab peoples attention in a very few seconds, and then keep it for 30 minutes. This is done by coming up with rediculous stuff and suggestive statements that keep folks pondering for the time of the show.

Nothing is real, it's all made up, it's cherry picked according to what will keep your mind wandering rather than what it real, and it's designed to put your brain into a vegetative state in order to zone out on what they're doing and forget 30 minutes have passed.

If his son spent that much time playing with his Dad, I figure he'd know if it was that amp or not. The rest is just speculative, made up stuff to keep your eyeballs on the idiot box instead of going and doing something important.

Of course, IMO, IME and all the usual disqualifiers, but you know.....:p

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Jeez, you say that like it's a bad thing!

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    As an occasion break from the grind entertainment, sure, nothing wrong with that. We depend on that or nobody would come watch us play.:D

As the "lifestyle" a lot of people make it, and the way TV is designed to perpetuate that/appeal to it....sickness indeed.

Anyway, it seems there was a lot more put into getting eyeballs than there was actually trying to find out what the deal was.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I should add the caveat that, this coming from someone who hasn't had tv in their house since april and couldn't be happier for it. If someone finds this weird, that's ok.:D

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, internet is so much better ;)

19. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I just watched the segment on the Jamerson B-15. First and foremost, it's cool to see Jamerson get discussed at length on national television. I think we can all agree that he deserves the recognition.

As for whether or not it's Jamerson's amp? I think the show was pretty clear that they couldn't make a definitive statement on that. They didn't have a serial number, and they couldn't find any documentation or photographic evidence that identified the amp as Jamerson's.

And the show didn't dance around the fact that James Jr. didn't think this was his father's amp. But the Dennis Coffey interview and the discussion of the stencils did leave you with some sense of hope that PERHAPS this amp is the real deal. But watching the whole segment, I think any viewer with a reasonable degree of skepticism would agree that the investigation was inconclusive.

The Dylan Newport guitar segment was certainly a good deal more intriguing. The investigators had much more evidence to go on, especially with serial numbers, photographs and the hand-written lyrics. But I also got a sense that Dylan wasn't wrapped up in the details of his equipment.

All in all, it's interesting subject matter. And I enjoyed watching those particular segments. The investigations were thorough, but they also left some doubts. Will I tune in on a regular basis? That remains to be seen. With my crazy schedule that's not always possible. But with these shows posted on the web, I might be more inclined to watch every once in a while.