Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The amp saga continues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, May 24, 2002.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Okay, check this out...

Yesterday I took back the SVT-350 amp head to guitar center and tried some other amps. I really liked the Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600, so I bought it. I was getting an awsome crunchy growl with it through an SWR 4x10 cab. So I brought it home and turned some stuff down so as not to blow out any windows and I noticed a distorted buzzy noise when I played an open A really hard, or if I played an A on the seventh fret of the D string. Plus I seemed to get the same sound with some of the other higher octave notes, but not as much as the A's. I am playing through my Ampeg SVT410HLF and I tried adjusting the tweeter control on the back and it didn't do anything. I switched the battery in my bass, so that's not it either. The only thing that helps is to turn down the gain, but then I lose the tone. Why would it make the buzz through my cab but not the cab at guitar center?

--kid

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I say we take the amp AND your cab (AND your bass, too) back to GC and play the two cabs side by side. You will probably learn SOMEthing...

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    It may simply be a resonance in your room at home or something in the room resonating. I have some of those kind of problems if I play loud in my old farmhouse.

Chuck