1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TehSpecial, Sep 28, 2008.

1. TehSpecial

TehSpecial

Sep 28, 2008
    I'm looking for is something like a Vox AD30VT, but for bass. Something with lots of effects and a decent sound for under $400. Also is a Squier P Bass Special a good bass to start out with? And I've heard that if you use a bass on a guitar amp it might blow up, but that's what I'm going to have to do for a while probably. Thanks

2. First of all, welcome to the forum TehSpecial!

I'm going to start by addressing the bass through guitar amp query.

If the guitar amp's speaker is not designed to reproduce those frequencies that the bass guitar produces most (40 hz - about 300), it is very likely the speaker will blow. Even if you don't have a bass amp, you do NOT want to plug a bass into a guitar practice amp. Not all guitar speakers will blow with a bass plugged in, but most, if not all, small guitar practice amps will.

Is there a music store in your area? The best way to know what is "good" is what feels and sounds good to you in person.

If you are starting, which it sounds like you are, I do NOT recommend having a bunch of effects. It distracts you from the most important thing: learning how to actually play. If you count on the effects to make you sound good, you're going to be in a world of hurt when it's time to gig. Just take your time, the effects will sound exponentially more awesome after you have some chops established.

So, again, find a reliable, good-sounding amp at your local music store. Make sure it is something with relatively few controls, just something that is essentially a "plug and play."

I hope I've been helpful. :bassist:

3. mildbill

mildbill

Aug 5, 2008
    Bangor, Me
    A Squire p Bass is a great starter bass. Much better than what I started on. As far as the amp goes, Line 6 Low Down comes to mind, but I've heard waaay too many reports of them breaking down easily. Get a Peavey. You can always buy an effects unit. Peaveys are like tanks and sound decent and can be had for a reasonable price.
    By the way...a bass will not blow up a guitar amp.

4. TehSpecial

TehSpecial

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks a lot man. I think I might just get a Rumble 15 or a Peavey. Maybe a Line 6, but I get what you're saying with distraction. I started out with a reg. guitar amp and then once I got godd, I found out I needed effects. Also, does a place like Guitar Center have an optional bass setup instore?

5. Peavey makes respectable practice amps. I've heard very few reports of Peaveys breaking down. But, again, you need to try a few different ones yourself.

I do not know about Guitar Center setups. But it wouldn't hurt to go and ask if you have one near you.

Even if you go online and there are fifty 5* reviews in a row of a particular bass, I cannot stress enough the importance of trying a beginning bass before you buy it. There is no review that can tell you with 100% certainty that any bass is the right bass for you. Only you can know that.

Get back to us on how your first purchase goes.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Welcome to TB. +1 on the advice so far.

For future reference, amp questions will usually do better in the "Amps" forum.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Buy something used. You can get a sizeable amp for 400 bucks off craigslist or something...like an Ampeg BA115 or 210 or Ashdown blue combo, Gallien Krueger, old Peavy TNT combos are cheap and sound good.
    I wouldn't buy new amps...in fact, I rarely ever have.

8. pbagley

pbagley

Jun 2, 2008
    Ham Lake, MN
    I recommend Roland's Cube 100. 8 amp models, plus six effects.

I also agree with plug and play, which is why you'll nearly always find my Cube 100 on the BassMan amp model, mostly flat EQ, and no effects. Last week at practice I ran through all the amp models, came back to the BassMan setting. Suits my ears, YMMV.

An alternative - Some of the mid-90's trace combos are becomming affordable. I bought a BLX-80 (slot port in front) for a decent price last spring. Loud enough for a modest gig, used mine on Saturday night, and the Trace Sound. The real thing is much better than the modeled version on the Cube 100.

Good luck!

- P

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    please use the proper forum when posting.

10. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Check out Fender B-DEC.