the ampeg 8x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discrepancy, Apr 19, 2004.

1. I'm going to buy a graduation present to my self, a new ampeg 8x10 cab and a head to power it. The problem is im not sure what head to get. Im going to use the amp for gigs and recording. Im willing to spend up to $1000 for the head, maybe more. I know i want an ampeg head to because i love the sound of ampeg. Thanks for the help.
  2. You'll likely want to get a higher powered solid-state, or tube head to drive that puppy. I recommend the SVT-CL cause paired w/ the 8x10 it's badass. The SVT-4PRO would also do nicely in bridged mono mode.
  3. The SVT-4PRO actually has two power amps inside the chassis. When you run it in bridged mode, you are combining the power amps into one output. So, instead of attaching two cabs (one to each power amp) and getting 300 watts per channel (or whatever the amp will put out based on the impedances of the attached cabs), you'll attach one cab to the bridged output and get 900 watts into one cab (or 1200 watts if the cab is 4 ohms). Both amps will be powering one cab. Lots of power amps are this configuration, also!
  4. nice, that sounds sweet. Thanks for your help.
  5. Ya know what!? That sounds like a good idea...I think I'll treat myself to a good cabinet for graduation too...Mesa 410 perhaps...

2004 Baby!!!

(Sorry, that was really stupid...)
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Go with either the SVT CL or Mesa 400+

I think its hard to do better than a Tube head for that cab.

7. Or get an SVT from the 70's. Mmm sweet sweet tone.
  8. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    +1 on Woofenstein's comment. SVT4-pro bridged. bliss.