Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the ampeg ba210 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Apr 14, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    Anyone own one of these or played through one?I'm looking to pick up a good combo for gigging and was wondering if this one would be loud enough.thanks

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I've had mine for about 3 years now and I love it. I seriously doubt that it'll be enough to gig with though. The PA guy would have to crank you WAY up to compensate. But as far as practicing, it's great. I guess it all depends on the size of the venue, and the size of your guitarist's/guitarists' rig(s).

3. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    wow I would hate the idea of shelling out 7hunge for a practice amp. :eek:

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I played through one of those a lot before I bought my BA115HP. I liked it but I went w/ the 15" just because I liked that sound a little better. I think the 2X10 would probably project a little better.

As for giging with it. It will work in a small venue but the size and seating all vary so that is a very general term. I have used mine for practice sessions and parties with good results.

Here is an example of how mine has worked.

The three guitars that I play with are all using 60-65 watt amps two of them are single 12's (Line-6 Flextone & Peavy Studio Pro) and one is a 2X10"(Behringer V-Tone). I hang in there no problem but we are playing at moderate levels. I'm running at 7 on my volume and they are running at 3 or 4 on their volume. If one of them brought a half-stack there is no way I could be heard. Our drummer is using a Ludwig acoustic set and he is using Pro Mark Hot Rods or 5a's w/ wood tips to bring his volume down a little.

This has worked fine in a 200 seat church w/ a 20' celing as well as small rooms w/ 8-10' celings with 40 to 100 people in them.

Beyond that the amp could not hang in there. As I said I am running at 7 and wouldn't want run it beyond that for a long period of time.

Other than that the amp runs as a practice amp. It's a very nice sounding amp though. I like mine a lot.

I previously had an SWR WM15 and hated the way it sounded. It could run an extra cab though. A 2x10 would help a lot but I never did try that. The Ampeg has no hook ups for the external cab nor does it have an effects loop. That kinda bugs me a little.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    James, email sent. Picking out a combo for gigging is so dependent on the gig and the venue that it is hard to say if the BA210 would be enough. I actually like the B100r more as a primay rig. I know that I've had great luck/foresight by having a meduim sized combo and assuming that if it wasn't big enough for the room it, the room will have a PA for me to back my rig up with. So far, not one variation from that. But I know that if I was in a 2-guitar, loud drummer, keys... kind of band I would have a bigger rig, but still have the same rule.

One of my pals uses a Fender Rumble 100 and while it won't get any high-fidelity awards, it is freakishly loud for its size and weight. Same for the older Fender combos (model name?)

Pete

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I considered one of these a couple of years ago, but just couldn't believe how weak it sounded for 200 watts (220?) into 2x10". I could tell even in the store that it wouldn't be enough for rock gigs involving drums and two guitars. The GK Backline 115 seemed to have a more solid punch, and that was rated at only 125 watts.

You'd be much better off with an Avatar 2x10 and the Ashdown head they offer. (MAG 300 maybe?) You'd probably save a few bucks too.

7. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    Yeah I have the wm 15 myself and i think it sounds like crap,i hate that dry sterile tone!I much perfer the ampeg sound and want to get an ampeg combo that cuts it.i was hoping the 210 would do it.I'm not talking stadium level volume needed but a small club or outdoor party.so what combo to get then for those purposes and at a decent price?

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It depends on what kind of places you'll be playing, how loud your band is and if you have/need PA support. I successfully gigged for years with a 225 watt combo with 2-10's in a band with two guitarists. It worked fine. We played classic rock covers. I currently run 280 watts into 1-15 and it's plenty loud next to a loud drummer. The current guitarist in our trio uses a Soldano head with some Marshall cabs for bigger events, and a new Traynor 40 watt combo for most gigs. If we play bigger venues, we just haul the big PA. Unless you're playing big stages and play really loud, the combo should be just fine.

While playing loud is fun, it wrecks your hearing. And if you need ear plugs on stage, you're playing too loud.

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    If you plan on playing outdoors then scrap the combo idea. I'm positive that the 210 won't do very well in an outdoor setting. It will do better than my 115 but it just won't have enough beans with 220 watts behind it. If you have a PA to go into then it will work fine as a monitor but a cab and head system would be a much better set up for that.

I have used my amp outdoors once at a back patio practice. It was being pushed hard to be heard over the guitars, drums and keys and it was running at 9. I turned down my lows and turned up my treble and mids and was running the volume at 8, I could hear myself in the mix but wasn't very comfortable running at almost full volume and I didn't care much for my tone with the EQ set like that. I had to run a line to the PA to really get into the mix. I don't think it has a limiter so it started to distort a little running almost wide open. Once I went to the PA I turned my volume back to 7 and was able to hear myself through the amp and it functioned fine as a monitor.

These combos were not designed to be pushed that hard.

You could get an Avatar 2X12 4ohm cab and an Ashdown 300 watt head for about what you would pay for the BA210 and be louder. I would go with the 8ohm cab and be able add a 210 later. You would be plenty loud that way.

I have not played through an Avatar but I have played an Ashdown head through a 4ohm Ampeg 4X10 and really liked the head. Lots of useable tones out of it. You can do a search on both of these products and get a ton of info on them. Both the Ashdown and the Avatar products are highly regarded around here. I will most likely go that route in the future.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Couple of observations.

Not sure why you had to be heard above guitars and keys in a band, unless you are taking a solo. I have done many outdoor gigs with 200 watts just fine, playing for 200 people. It'll get you by, but with not much reserve. But how often will you be playing outdoors? How often will you be playing to big crowds?

Second, an Ashdown head puts out 307 watts into 4 ohms. I believe it puts out 180 into 8 ohms. That's not an improvement over the Ampeg.

Back to what I said, depending on how loud your band is, 200 watts may get you by just fine. From a product quality standpoint, Ampeg has a great reputation.

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I write these things when I'm at work and tend to write faster than I think.

What I mean is to be heard in the mix. I don't need to be heard over the guitars. Nobody in the band could hear me The drummer could not hear me at all. We don't play insane volumes either.

I made the suggestion for a 4ohm 2X12 as a single unit. All 307 Watts will be used and it will be about the same price as the combo.

2X12=more speaker suface area=more air being moved=louder.
    180 watts pushing and Avatar 2X12 is still going to move more air than 220 watts pushing the single 15.

You are absolutely right that it depends on the band, type of music, and volume levels. One of our guitar players plays in a jazz trio and the bass player is playing through an Ampeg B100 amp and there is no problem hearing him.