The Ampeg sound!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PICK, Feb 15, 2002.

1. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Does an Ampeg Classic 810 have anything to do with the ampeg sound or does it all come from the amp??? What im really asking is, Can i get THE "Ampeg" sound with any brand of Speakers????
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Depends on which "Ampeg sound" you're talking about. I assume you're asking about the SVT sound as in the SVT Classic. In that case, yes the 810 cab has a certain synergy when driven by the all-tube head. But there are many amps these days that Ampeg sticks the SVT moniker on so it's anybody's guess. Assuming your idea of the "Ampeg Sound" is somewhat defined, TO YOU, the answer is, yeah you can get with other brands of speakers.
  3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    classic ampeg cabs are sealed (no ports) and the don't have tweeters. Most bass cabs on the market today have ports of some kind and have tweeters too, so this would distinguish ampeg cabs sonically from a lot of others.
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Some clasic ampeg cabs DO have ports and tweeters. My 610 hlf has front ports and a tweeter so does the 410 hlf. My old svt 18e had a front port and my old 410he had a tweeter but i think no port. Not to argue just clearing things up. To me the cabs have alot to do with the ampeg sound.