1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Amplifier Stand and The Modern Bassist

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreggBummer, Jun 3, 2014.

1. If I have posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize.

I am playing a gig this weekend in a bar that notoriously has lousy acoustics. I have never played there before, but, many of my friends have. They all tell me that keeping volume under control is important. My band is little on the loud side in practice, but in performance we have good control over our volume. We will bring our own PA, there is no FOH support.

I play a 400W solid state head through a 410 cabinet. I am considering buying an amp stand to put the cabinet on. I believe this will get the amp up off the floor, have it nearer to ear level, and allow me to control my stage volume better. I am concerned about "decoupling" from the floor. My bass player friend said the room is "boomy" and he had a hard time EQing the muddiness out of his sound (and the whole band). I'm wondering if having the bass off the floor with help with that. Also, as far as I can remember, I don't think I have ever seen a bass amp on a stand before. Although, now that I think about it, I have put an amp on a chair at gig before (outside gig, ground was still wet from rain).

Your thoughts? Experiences? Try the amp stand? Set fire to my rig?

bluesdogblues likes this.
  2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    In those types of rooms the effect of coupling is negligible, but keeping the volume down is not, so put it wherever you'll be able to hear it the best.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Chair works fine and doesn't need to be loaded in.

bassrich, MTFD24, Remyd and 1 other person like this.
  4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    AFAIK, you can raise a cab almost 24" off the ground without losing low end; it also gets it closer to your ears.

MTFD24 likes this.
  5. This was what I was concerned about.

fdeck, you make a good point. The chair is also free.

I guess I could try it in the first set, if it doesn't work out, I can take it off the chair/stand for the second and third sets.

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    It can play tricks on your ears because, since the cab is closer to your ears, you are hearing more of the mids and highs that you did'nt hear before as the cab was on the floor,and blowing at the back of your knees. You are still getting the lows, you are just hearing more of the mids and highs.

7. That will make setting the EQ a little easier I guess. I generally run my amp flat and adjust it from there to fit the room. Boring, I know. But it makes things simple.

bluesdogblues and Woolber like this.
  8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    This is so true. Just happened to me when I put a 210 on top of my 212 for a big, outdoor stage.

The other thing I wonder about amp stands is most of them are tilted back. I don't mind that except...what happens to my amp head? How will I keep it from sliding off?

9. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    My rig is always on the drum cases. Doesn't seem to effect the "bass" and I can hear it much better...plus it gives us somewhere to stash the drum cases :D

10. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I have actually thought about buying some black milk crates on Amazon.

bluesdogblues likes this.
  11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The decoupling will help with the boominess if you get it high enough. Use a chair or barstool or two.

Adjust your tone from out front and just deal with the thin sound on stage, knowing it sounds good out there.

A smaller cab if you have one might be easier to control.

Cut the lowmids (250hz) out of the vocals to keep them clear.

12. EQing vocals is a mystery to me. That's for another thread, for sure, but there is much voodoo magic that goes into a good vocal mix.

13. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Just ordered. Thanks!

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Chairs and milk crates? What is this? Amateur hour?

Is it on wheels? If they're easily removed, you could just tilt it back with a piece of wood spray painted black, and it'll look way more pro than a milk crate or chair. A stand is the most ideal, but many stands may struggle with a 410.

15. No wheels. I like your wood idea, but I hoping to get it up off the floor a bit more. I'm going to try a stand... if it doesn't meet my needs for bass, I will certainly use it for my guitar amp in my little music room (apartment living means low volume practice, or, headphones) Either way, it won't be a wasted purchase.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Indeed. Just with my setup anyway, I find that region is where a lot of the "woofy" sound is that makes lyrics hard to understand or gets them washed out in the mix.

Can vary depending on your speakers voicing, where they're placed in the room, whether the room is live or dead, etc. It is a decent place to start to get the words where people can at least understand them.

17. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Anybody have experience with the Auralex Acoustics stand? It's not really a stand but a padded platform (3 or 4 inches high) that's supposed to give "Total Sound Control". The model I have is the GRAMMA - stands for Gig & Recording Amp & Monitor Modulation Attenuator. I've never used it - I have an outdoor gig this weekend on a temporary plywood stage - this unit might help?

18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Anything the Gramma does can be accomplished by laying a small throw rug in front of your cab. However, the Gramma does look more pro, I'll give you that.