1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The anatomy of a MIJ E-series 1984-87 Squier Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davo-London, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Folks

Here's some pictures of parts of my Squier E-series MIJ 1984-87 Jazz Bass. More to come ... Davo

Attached Files:

2. Here are some more photos.

What do you think I should do about the cracks at the neck heel recess on the body???

Davo

Attached Files:

3. I'd leave the cracks alone unless they begin to get larger. They are in a low stress area so shouldn't be a problem.

Nice photos! Thanks for sharing.

4. Thought I'd leave the scratchplate off for a bit.

She plays very easily and with a very low action. I'm contemplating a pickup swap!

Davo

Attached Files:

5. Here's with the scratchplate.

Davo

Attached Files:

• SQ07.
      SQ07.jpg
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Bass looks good either way.

7. Dricoman

Dricoman

Apr 19, 2013
    Mesa Arizona
    I just picked up a E series Jazz Squire MIJ for $300.00 the neck is perfect and fast, low action and I cant believe the sound coming out of this beat around bass. Not the sound of a cheap bass at all!! No dead spots and very punchy.
    I'm impressed! The bass was really dirty and has some indications that it was in a humid climate. The music store couldn't believe I was buying it. I traded it for my Fender Prophecy II bass that had a maxed out truss rod that I payed $300.00 for. I got the good end of the deal I feel. I just need to clean it up which I love doing.

BassHappy likes this.
  8. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Love those necks... prob worth 300 itself

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  9. Hey Drico

I am always surprised at how surprised so many folks are when they soak in the benefits, and feel the punch and depth of the medium scalers for themselves.

Congrats! May she give you many long years of joy and service.

Dricoman likes this.
  10. Davo-LON

Davo-LON

Jun 3, 2014
    Mine is on permanent loan to a Wal fretless owner!

Davo

11. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California

I am researching a 32" Warmoth build now. What gauge strings do you use to get the depth and punch you reference? I use 45-105 on my 34" Precision now, would a lighter set feel like a similar tension?

12. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    -?- An E-series Squier J is a medium scale bass?

13. Hey Jio

Probably my bad. Whenever I see no dead spots my brain always goes to medium scale by default!

Thought Drico was referring to a medium, but maybe not....It was the same years on the first run of Fender Japan mediums though: 1984-7

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  14. Hey Datsgor

I am a big fan of lighter gauge strings. D'Addario has been sending me either 100's - 45's or on some sets 95-40 for years. I just got my first batch of Medium Scale strings from them recently, and I am trying them out on my three new builds. Up until now, I have always used standard long scale strings on all my medium scale basses. Some seem to like to increase the gauge when they go a bit shorter, but I have never felt any need to. I don't play shorties (30" scalers) for the most part and that would probably be a different issue than mediums.

15. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Oh - I wasn't aware they made a medium scale those years. Sold in Japan only?

16. Hey Jio

Yes, only sold originally in Japan, but a number have found their way to our shores. Yeah, I have two from that era. This P Bass SPB406-50 was from 1986-7 according to the serial number. The 406 represents the distance between the nut and the 12th fret. Medium scale is actually 812mm in Japan:

!BRILsBw!Wk-$(KGrHgoOKiYEjlLmfE,TBJ8bO-dZ+Q--_1.JPG.

I cleaned up the neck, removed the pick guard (no routing in the body except directly under the control area) and painted the body to create this:

Hot-Rod-Bass Sideways-1.

This PJM-65R Jazz Special in medium scale was "Order Made" meaning custom ordered when it was new in 1986-87, with the swamp ash body and trans finish. This wasn't in the Fender catalog for those years, they were all basswood with black paint. It remains stock just as it came from the factory:

JazzSpecial Sideways.

Hard to believe they are both close to 30 years old now.

This is a medium scale Jazz bass from 1993-4 according to the serial number, and this is only one of two I have ever seen - in over 20 years of looking - with a maple board in medium scale. I sold the body fully loaded - the buyer called it midnight wine, but the midnight wine I have seen wasn't even close to this. He paid me a premium price for the body and I kept the neck:

Fender-Jazz-Red.

I had John Ingram from PRS re-shape the headstock:

Dual Headstock.

And I made this from the neck:

51-P-Bass Sideways.

Fender Japan has not made any medium P Basses for years - but they were still making medium Jazz Basses until just recently - and mine was built in 2007 but I bought it new in 2009:

Jazz Sideways.

I have been looking forever for the "twin" in a medium scale P Bass for this, but I have never seen a 3T sunburst P bass in medium ever. I am now looking for another old 1984-87 P Bass to buy, hoping I can find one with a trashed body and a maple board at a reasonable price. I will strip it first and have a look at the wood - but unless it's really nice - I will have Keith make an identical P Bass body in alder and have Pat paint it to match this Jazz with a tort guard, so I have matching J and P in medium scale with alder bodies. Just a little sickness of mine....

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

JIO likes this.
  17. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Yes, I didn't think about it, but on my 34", I have to increase diameter to keep the tension higher. So a 32" makes sense for having to go fatter. If I end up with this build, I'll just start with my standard gauge I guess.

18. Hey Datsgor

Experimentation is a good thing, and you definitely need to find exactly the right strings for you. Just realize that every time you change brands, gauges or types - you may need to change the set up to compensate.

It's funny, when I started out with my medium scale PRS #11 in 1977 they didn't offer medium scale strings. I always used long scales strings because that was my only option, but they always worked just fine for me.

Datsgor likes this.
  19. Dricoman

Dricoman

Apr 19, 2013
    Mesa Arizona
    I use the DR High beams 45-105. I've tried other strings but I come back to the DR's.