The Androminda headstock on Ursa Sx basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Aug 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Finally! A nice headstock on their most affordable line!

2. Thanks for supplying a link or a photo to accompany your statement.

I'm dying to search for what you are referring to.

:beaver:

I'll take your word for it though. You seem alright.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Previous SX Ursa headstock:
    ursa1mn+car7.jpg

SX Andromeda II:
    andrometaIIna1.jpg

Newly appearing SX Ursa 3 (according to the website, but I thought the SX J was an Ursa 2?):
    ursa3mnald3ts1.jpg

I'd say a major improvement, I hope they bring it out through the whole Ursa line.

Immigrant likes this.
  4. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    I haven't seen the Andromida yet, but check out this Omega:

Omega EB-393 SB - RondoMusic.com

Ash body, block inlays, nice burst, and finally a headstock I can live with!

Oh yeah, and its $129.99.

MYLOWFREQ, bmax and ERIC31 like this.
  5. I like it also. It's kind of like Sadowsky meets Dr Seuss.

I looked on the Rondo site and saw the Rose (?) has a nice headstock. And it came with stickers to personalize it!!

6. hrodbert696

Yeah, Kurt is apparently dealing with a wider variety of manufacturers these days. I don't know if anyone has an Omega or has commented if they're as good of a bang for the buck as the SXs have been.

Mosstone likes this.
  7. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    lol I copied the link and everything just forgot to paste it. Sorry man! Sleep depravation is a wonderful thing

SX Ursa 3 MN ALD BK - RondoMusic.com

Immigrant and Flad like this.
  8. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    True... I haven't heard any firsthand reviews yet, either. But I've only seen the quality of SX basses go up since I bought my first one about 9 years ago, so I don't have any worries.

9. hrodbert696

Omega is from a different maker, though. Rondo is just the importer/distributor. One hopes Kurt has some way of assuring he's working with good manufacturers, but I dont know enough about how he works.

10. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    20160827_205740.jpg

I rather like mine. But I like the new ones too.

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I'm guessing that's a market reaction. SX was all the rage on TB ... and then they changed the headstock. Like a light switch, the SX conversation stopped. I like the new headstock.

12. TJH3113

TJH3113 Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2015
    New Windsor, NY
    Haha!

13. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    By chance would Kurt be a member here?

14. - John -

- John - Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    SX is relevant again? This is not going to make Sire happy.

15. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I'm diggin the new SX Ursa 3 headstock! It looks really cool. This bass here will most likely be my next purchase. It's gorgeous! ursa3mnald3ts1.jpg

16. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    I'm really no fan if pointy headstocks. This new one reminds me of Sire basses... And the previous one looked like a paddle to me.
    My first bass is an SX and luckly this was their headstock shape 8 years ago
    Screenshot_2016-08-28-09-05-20.png

I really like it.

17. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    This fretless P/J bass is nice also. I'd been wanting to try a fretless ursa3mnaldbkfl1.jpg out recently. At this killer price, why not?? ;)

GAS is running out of control tonight! LOL

18. hrodbert696

Hmmm... I don't think so, don't recall him posting even with all the SX talk that goes on. He actually does answer emails to Rondo's site though if you wanted to get in touch with him. It's not a huge impersonal corporate operation. Just a handful of guys and a warehouse, from what I gather.

bholder likes this.
  19. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    The new head stock is just begging to be modded to reduce the rounded portion but it's certainly an improvement over the last version IMHO .... I have three of the last style pointy necks and did the " Dixie Cup " mod on one - not sure if I would do that again on the remaining ones - I am learning to live with the stock styling on the other two . It's really a shame that Fender put up a stink about the original SX head stock .

20. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I had to do a double take. The tuners also look like nicer Grover titan copies.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022