The annoying drunks at gigs story thread

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 30, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I guess I'll go first. This was just at my gig on Saturday.

I swear, the annoying drunk onslaught was at it's highest at this particular gig. There was one guy who kept constantly walking onto the dance floor with chicks he got from the bar to dance with him. That's cool enough, but after every song he would have to walk up, get in my face, and tell us how good we are, and shake me saying I should get into more. (I usually do, but I wasn't having much fun during the 1st and 2nd sets that night) Then, during our first break, a chick stumbles her way to our table and ask us to play Ac/dc. Well, we don't know any ac/dc, but she's content that we know some. :rolleyes: After we go up and play again, she keeps wanting us to play Ac/dc so we do some very band versions of Back In Black and You Shook Me All Night. Then this guy stumbles from the bar into the dance room during our 3rd set. He's another one who has to come up and talk to us in between every song. He tries to make some request to our lead singer, but just mumbles the words to songs to our singer. Needless to say, we had no idea what he was requesting. He comes up to me on various occasions and says, "Your a good bass player" then he has to air bass and say "You go, boom, boom, boom" I thought it was cool though, during one of our songs, I play some really fast runs that span over three strings. (I call it the "corpral tunnel song" cause my hand is about to fall off half way through when I play it) What I'm doing isn't that complicated technically, but it probaly looks really cool to a non-musician. This one guy walks up, gets real close, and hunkers down and is mesmeroized for like a minute by watching me play. That felt pretty cool though. :D I won't let it go to my head. :D Well, we started tearing down, and I'm trying to explain to the "boom, boom" guy that our lead singer's guitar is a copy of a strat, not a real fender strat. He then asks how many strings my bass has. I say 5. He says "That's means it's pretty fast then, huh?" I said, well, not really, you have an extended range because of the B string. He then ask what kind of strings I have. I say that I think GHS boomers are on it right now. When I say that, his eyes get real big and he's like "Those are like High Input strings or something, are't they". I say, "Well, they are a brighter sounding string". He then says he has a strat guitar, and he says the pick up is underneath and points to the jack. I say that's the jack, and I point to the pickups and say those are pickups. He's then like "yeah, the jack's underneath". He then says he's friends strat's tuning is so senstive that it's out of tune once you close the case. I thought to myself "No it's not senstive it just sucks". Then the Ac/dc chick was trying to hook up with our guitarist that night. On the plus side, there was a chick dancing in the back who's chest kept falling out when she was dancing. (Well, our singer told us that, I didn't see it)

What are your drunks at gigs stories?
  2. Unfortunately the annoying drunks at our gigs tend to be the only people at our gigs.

Oh wait, sorry, I'm thinking about the other bands.
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I could go on and on about annoying drunks, but I won't. I'll just say that annoying people and mean people shouldn't be drinking to begin with. I mean, you have to know that you become an idiot or an a****** when you've been drinking, right? Anyway, we had a drunk guy throw beer at us once, soaking all of our instruments and equipment with cheap Bud Light. Our guitarist yells, "If anything else gets thrown at the band, we're leaving!" No one threw anymore beer, but we packed up and left early anyway.
  4. The most annoying drunk was the one who stumbled in stage left, smacked and dented my Warwick with his beer as it spilled all over my pick-up's, bridge, and me.

When I told him to back off, he kept coming at me, spilling beer the whole way, saying "sorry dude" over and over. And he repeatedly kept coming at me and wouldn't go away even as the next song started. Finally the lead singer announced over the PA for someone to rush the bum and I got some help.

Today I look at that dent and plot what I'm going to do if it even comes close to happening again.
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Pop him in the face with the butt end of your bass. That should knock him out pretty good.
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    but that's another dent we dont need right?

7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hmm, that gives me an idea. I'm going to make a new bass that doubles as a weapon: You can push a button and make a little club pop out of the headstock, or another button will spray pepper spray out of the magnets of the pickup.

*runs and patents his idea before anyone steals it* :D
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Umm no need for that Liquid, you just buy yourself some big and sturdy bass like a T-bird and use it as a club. Or in case of B.C. Riches, as a club with nails on it :rolleyes:

But how about James Bond-style anti-theft system for basses featuring car alarm style remote controller and 10000v running through the strings when activated :D
  9. Concerning the electrocuting bass, sweet Jesus you would wanna be careful, right?

Oh yeah, drunks at gigs suck.

And a bass can be used as a weapon only if you don't care about the cosmetics. I'd whack somone with my Fender, but I wouldn't bring my fretless anywhere near a drunk.
  10. Or you could always get Gene Simmon's axe. (no pun intended) :D
  11. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I usually get out on the dance floor and dance with anyone available... At a gig last month, this one girl decided that she was in love with me. After I danced with her and her friend the first time, they'd come up and get me at the start of each song and want to dance. Neither of them were at all bad looking, but I like to spread myself around a little :cool:

Anyhow, 'Carol' decides to try a little seduction during every song. Even after I tell her that I am happily married with a coupla kids, she doesn't stop... Both of the guitar players' wives were there and stole me for a few dances, temporarily saving me, but they were pretty amused by the whole thing... I'm really dreading our next gig at this place later this month... Ain't gonna stop me from dancin' with the spare ladies though :D

12. I have to admit people seem to enjoy our gigs more when they're well oiled :rolleyes:

We've had a few drunks falling over monitors into us, and trying to grab the mics to sing, but thankfully most have been good humoured and not done any damage.

I have had men come and stand directly in front of me staring at me when I've been singing. It takes a lot of bottle to look them in the eye.

After falling into us when trying to dance, one drunk then dropped his trousers and got his friends to ignite his... let's say... trouser cough !!!! *
    What a delightful place that was!!!!
    I'll bet you can guess who most people were watching!! It wasn't us! :(

* DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!.... or anywhere else!