The Annoying Humming

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist_ca, Sep 26, 2001.

1. bassist_ca

Sep 25, 2001
    madera, cali
    i really hate that annoying humming noise coming from my bass.. when i am up near fret 123456ish there is this humming noise! can i get rid of it! :confused:
  2. Hmm the "annoying humming" noise isn't really a fret issue, it should really be happening no matter where you are playing. What kind of bass do you have?

I am going to run off of the assumption thats its a fender style bass. Does the hum go away when you touch the strings? If not, then there is a wire broken somewhere in your controls, which is why they are humming, the electronics aren't grounded. If its a jazz bass, the MIMs from before this year have two pickups that don't "humcancel" which sucks, I know, but this may also be a problem with the room you're in, since fender doesn't sheild their control cavaties, you can pick up alot of magnetic interference from things like, your computer, or lights, or pretty much any wires in the walls.

Try rolling your tone knob off (Mine doesn't do much except make hum.. maybe someone finds it usefull, I don't notice anything except the pitch of the hum..) or try rolling the volume off on your pickups just slightly, and compensating for this drop by turning up your amp.. Don't know what else to say...