Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The answer is "220v"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have been bitchn'& moanin about the wall voltage being too weak at clubs for some time now. I wanted a Furman 1215 power regulator, but the wall ampers have to be there or it won't get 120v anyway.
    Finally our drummer (owns the PA and band leader) brought a breaker box and an electric stove cord that plugs right into a 220 outlet. The box splits the juice into 2 x 110 somehow. But the power I had tonight was unbelieveable!!! My amp was only on 12:00 gain, and 9:30 master. I could hear every note with clarity, punch,and richness without having to rip my fingers up from playing too hard.
    Man, this is the way to go. You have to try it if you are struggling to hear yourself.
    Me Soooo Happy!!!!

2. You just have to have 220 available. It's not a big deal to step voltages. But now you know.

Cool man

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Come to Germany :D

230V/16A

4. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Our drummer is an electrician and he built us a circuit breaker box mounted on a dolly. When possible we either wire directly into a box as you describe using jumper wires, or we plug into a 220 volt source when it's available. Most hotels or other larger halls have an electrician on staff and will run a 220v 60 amp feed to the stage if they know in advance. This is not just overkill. Even at moderate volume levels, the band's sound is dramatically better with an adequate power supply. We have a voltage input indicator on the panel and it's a kick (no pun intended) to watch the input voltage sag when the drummer hits the kick drum and we're using a regular wall outlet.

5. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000