The Anti Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For a while, it's been buggin' me. Seems like everyone is after a Super J. Sadowsky, Mike Lull, (Some) Lakland, Vintage and imitation vintage Fender.

I don't get it. What about the Super Ps? The Steroid fed mutant P basses of doom. Why don't we hear about these beasts? Are the P bass players a dying breed? Slowly dying out in a world of Jazz players?

So guys, my question to you, is what basses are the Uber P basses? Of course there's the woods and the electronics, but I'm speaking in general terms (i.e. make and model and/from manufacturer)
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I met a man yesterday who had a fat p bass.. Got the parts from warmoth.. but the pickups were a brand... that i can't remember.. it sounded like butta... it was a saweet bass.... this guy also had a ken lawrence 6 string he was trying to trade for an Elrick.. however we all know how that went ;)
  3. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    I like a P bass for its simplicity, its traditional fat sound and general feel.

I think the jazz bass has potential for more characters to it, so people want to paint there own face, think mr.potato head. Making super jazzes, modding essex's, etc. The traditional fender body designs are excellent, they are the root to most bass designs out there. So with that foundation of design that is proven to work, people want to tinker with all the variables (electronics, woods, hardware) to try and make it even better. In my opinion, the jazz gets chosen for this because theres more options, more things that can be done to affect the sound and playability.

Everybody knows the P bass is perfect, leave it alone. In 62 When Leo introduced the "upgrade" to the P bass, it wasnt an upgraded P bass, it was a different bass entirely.
  4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I just read yesterday that Leo looked at the Stingray as the Super P Bass w/ the massive humbucker and the active system.
  5. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't understand that comparison. A stringray is about the tonal opposite of a p bass.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I neither want a Super-J nor a super-P.
    I want a modern design, not a rehash of a 50-year old one.
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That's the beauty of everybody buying basses for themselves. The folks who want traditional designs can get those, and you can buy something else.

8. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Where did you read about Fender BASS history?
  9. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have neolithic tastes in basses. nothing to me can beat the mighty Fender Precision bass.
    i felt in love with the Precision after my first vision of The Blues Brothers. that's the sound i am after. no frills, just bass bottom.

i played a lot of basses and always i feel at home with the precision.
  10. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    In fairness Lakland does make the Bob Glaub sig. bass. Also I think there's a PJ Sadowsky. They are out there, just not as many I guess...
  11. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Mike Lull also makes a P-bass. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, besides Lakland, Lull, and Sadowsky (sort of).. The problem with a "super-P", I think, is that almost anything you could do to make it "super"--active EQ, fancy woods, etc.--sorta goes against the simple utilitarian nature of what makes a P-bass the classic it is.

12. Don't you mean '59 *when the first prototype was introduced* or '60 *when the first batch of jazzes were sold?
  13. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I thought p-basses were changed in '57 from the single coil p-basses.
  14. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    They're talking about the Jazz, which came out in '59-'60. You're right about the changes in the P-bass.

15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    ahhhh. thanks.
  16. i dont hate p basses in particular, i'm just highly partial to single coil pickups... the old p is groooovy...
  17. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I like the simplicity of the P-bass 2 knobs. Passive pickups. Plug in and play. I've got major G.A.S. for an new sunburst MIA P.
  18. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey I got a 82 walnut pbass special with a passive/active switch strung with d' addario prism's that smokes in both settings
  19. We P bass players are not a dying breed. I know as soon as I get some money :rolleyes: I'm pimping out my old Squier P bass. I'm thinking Warmoth neck, Quarter pound pick ups, and a preamp with on/ off switch.
  20. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I think Rocco was on the right track with his (short lived) signature P in that it had the pickup bobbins reversed.

More "definition" for the E & A and more "body" for the D & G.

This configuration makes more sense which is probably why so many high end manufacturers that make basses with a PJ or super-P pickup set-up do this also.

I would like to find a Rocco sig-P but if I don't I'll build one with the same configuration.