The Army!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Nov 11, 2005.

1. My brother is just joined the Army. He's leaving for BT on Monday. Yesterday, his recruiter came over to our house to talk to my dad and just say hi and all that. He asked me if I ever considered joining the military and I said no. He asked "What would you like to do with your life?". I said "Definitely something involving music". He suggested the "Army Band". He said they play at any big military function, sometimes over seas, and I may even get a chance to play for the president:hyper:.
    I was wondering if anyone else here has any experience with the Army Band. What are the requirements to get in etc, any info is welcome. I'm probably gonna go talk to the recruiter later today or tomorrow anyway, but I wanna know as much about it as I can.
  2. I think TBer Pacman is in an army band. He'll probably chime in pretty soon.
  3. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    I don't know anything about the army band, but I do know about the military, if you do it get it in writing.
  4. yup, A recruiters job is to recruit by any BS nessicary
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I spent 14 years in the Army band program, and now I'm in the Air Force bands.

Requirements? Read music well. That's the first and foremost requirement. After that, understand styles - all of them. Swing, latin, rock, funk, everything. Understand chord changes, and how to play from chord charts.

You CAN (no matter what they tell you) audition BEFORE you sign anything! Don't let them rook you into enlisting by saying you've got to do that first. In fact, that's one of the best ways to not get into the band. The infantry's not interested giving up bodies for the band.

There are bands all over the world. Several in Iraq right now. In the Army, you're a soldier first, then a musician. That means you'll have to do all the things everyone else in the Army has to do - weapons training, chem training, PT, "camping" - plus band stuff. It's not easy, and it's not for everyone. But it is a rewarding job (at least it can be), and it did a LOT for my playing - in fact, becuase of the 6 month music school the Army sent me to, I actually can play.

Feel free to email me offline if you've got other questions.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The military is not for everyone but it's a very enriching and rewarding career choice. I hope you sign up.

However, the Army is the clean up service that follows the Marines.
  7. Thanks Pacman. That's what I was afraid of. I don't think I want to go through all the basic training and weapons training etc if I'm just gonna be playing music for them. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm not really saying no yet, but that definitely swayed my opinion.
  8. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i have nothing but respect for the armed forces.
    i would gladly fight to defend my country.
    but make no mistake, you are trained to kill people.
    without question. that is the function of a soldier.
    "you can not simultaneously prevent and prepare for war"
    -albert einstein

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If you don't like weapons training, you can always join the Air Force or the Navy. Both have bands as well. Make SURE that your contract says you will be a musician before you sign it.

For the Navy it would be a guarantee that you will get training as an "MU" in a Navy "A" school.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Well, there is that off-hand possibility that you might have to bust a cap in someone's ass... so the training may be useful?
  11. That's true. I have nothing against weapons and training for them. It would even be kinda fun IMO. I've fired plenty of guns before (target shooting and hunting with my uncle) and I love it. I just don't feel like going through all of that if I'm not gonna be using it.
  12. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    That's not what Navy stands for.
    N eed
    a ny
    v asolien
    y all

I think I miss spelled vasolien, oh well, I'm in the navy not a english teacher
  13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No problem. Don't get me wrong, you'll have PLENTY of opportunity to play music - it'd be your day-to-day job. I just don't want anyone to get the impression that it'll be all you do.

There's another member here, Armybass, who spent I think 5 or 6 years, in the army band. You might want to talk to him, also. I got out before he did, so his info might be more recent.

For those suggesting the Air Force, let me just say this. You've got to be a lot better to get into the AF as a musician. The main reason is there aren't any tech schools (AIT, A school) for musicians in the AF. You've got to be a badass when you walk in the door.
  14. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I was talking to a recruiter and he said something about a Military Band. It actually sounds pretty sweet!

Tell your brother I salute him for signing up.
  15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    As the saying goes:
    It's not gay if we're underway. It ain't queer if we're on the pier.
  16. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Man I haven't heard that in a while. You in the Navy?
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I hold military recruiters in about the same regard as sleezy used car salesmen. As Mohawk stated, they'll give you any line of BS to sign on the dotted line.

My singer's daughter graduated valedictorian of her class and goes to a really nice college out of state. The recruiters try to call her and say how much joining the military is going to improve her life. *LOL*
  18. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    The military can and will improve your life, but she should still finish college
  19. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've thought about the military extensively. I'm still unsure whether or not I want to enlist. I mean, it's a long time; and I have a lot of opportunities musically right now. I'm just not sure that I could do my time and then pick up where i left off, if that makes sense.