Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The art of good practice.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rev J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I realize this is a music forum not a skateboarding forum but I saw this video the other day and found it very informational and inspirational:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vb9OonoP8

He's talking to computer programmers about what skaters do. But I also found the last 2 minutes of the lecture about how much time spent practicing and how when we get something almost nailed we can easily side track ourselves and hinder our progress. I also thought a lot of the things he talks about in this lecture can easily be applied to the way we practice and play music.

C/S,
    Rev J

2. Boris62

Boris62

Nov 7, 2012
    Cool video. Mastery is mastery. The attention to detail required is vast. There's always something to be learned from a master.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I also see a lot of similarities between skateboarding and playing bass. When he talks about changing where he is focusing during a trick is to me like when you are playing a line and you are going to throw in a lick and you think about where to shift or where to put in string skips. Or you start thinking about aiming for chord toes while coming up with a bass line.

C/S,
    Rev J